Bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark sanger

Established Member
Reaction score
This wide rim bowl is another piece that has been sitting on the shelf for some time while I work out how to proceed.

There is a strong Philip Streeting influence in this piece which is no surprise as I greatly admire his work. However I want to try to add my own identity to it so it is back on the shelf until I can find a different direction to proceed with.

small2.jpg

close.jpg

approx 8 inch dia x 3

That's a hot Rock

A peep inside the larva or more possibly the granite set.

Hi Mark,

The composition of this piece is working really well as it stands, just seems to have the right level of chunkiness. I can see why you're struggling to move forward with it, I think it works well as it stands at present but perhaps with the right addition it could become a great bowl.

It seems to be lacking a certain 'Sanger' style, perhaps this is down to the heavy influence from Phil but as it stands I think this is minimal. Putting it aside is maybe the best thing at the moment as this approach seems to work for you.

If I can offer any design advice it would be to reflect a lot of your own advice, that is to say that as it stands the inner bowl and outer texture, while providing a lovely contrast, don't appear to marry well enough together at this stage in your design. Something needs to bring the 2 elements together but I'm not sure what it could be. Perhaps the addition of some red colouring throughout the texture, a deep burgundy or something to draw the 2 parts together. I was also thinking it may be worth exploring having little smoothe patches of wood on the rim and colouring these the same as the interior?

Anyway, it is a cracking bowl as is and I hope it reaches it's final destination in a creative and postive way for you.

Cheers,

Lee.

Hi Mark
looks like a volcano, hot. What did you have in your mind when you first did this piece? Is there a concept to it or is that still evolving?
Look forward to seeing it when you get there with it.

Very nice work Mark,

the bowl really stands out with the chunky rock type texture and the heated center well done.

Spasm

Hi Mark,

I love the texture on the bowl, and the red interior, and I look forward to seeing how it eventually progresses. BTW - is it ash? The grain showing through the red inside looks a bit like ash.

Hi all

Thank you for your comments.

The texturing for this piece I stumbled across when the first idea I tried did not work as I had intended as such the idea is being developed.

Lee

The red interior is a base colour originally with the intention of adding gold leaf or another similar material. But I like the contrast at the moment so I stopped. I may go with the gold leaf but am looking at adding some more texturing to the inside in blocks, but will have to see.

Gold leaf was the obvious option for me in relation of how to go, but this was too obvious and now I try to do something totally different each time hence why I stopped to find an alternative idea.

As with any rule it can be broken as long as it is by a long way. Some time to have a totally different contrast will link well purely due to it being opposite.

Elaine

The intention was to make another verdigris aged piece, but at the moment I have just about killed the verdigris effect in relation to my own interest so need to leave it alone for a while. I have several other with this type of finish on the go so want to try something different.

As such it is still evolving. Now I like to start with a very basic idea but allow it to take its own course as I find that after I start another idea will become obvious, so I like to explore this.

Mage

Very astute. yes it is ash.

Thank you all again much appreciated.

Back