Bowl carving

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamburglar

Established Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has had a go and can advise.

Have split a 12 inch sycamore log in half and was thinking of carving a bowl in a kind of rectangular oblong sense. Have sealed the ends with wax emulsion. Realise that I would have to rough out, allow seasoning and then finish.

Was going to rough out with an adze, just wondering about recommendations for a gouge.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Have seen people carve them before with the "Lancelot" type attachments - like a chainsaw wheel for an angle grinder.

Andrew

Mike Riley did an article about this a couple of issues ago in GWW. I'll see if I can find it to see what he used. When I did it, I used a combination of carving gouges, but would agree with PowerTool and say that having a powered way to remove the meat would be advantageous. I have a new Abortech waiting to be played with ;)

Roughing with and adz would work but before you cut to size as it gets dangerous do adz work on small pieces.I have some Phiel gouges that are pretty hefty an will do a lot to start the bowl,but as you get older you tend to do it faster,so now I just use a 1/4 hp flex shaft grinder with a round carbide bit an spin the wood away.It smoothes the wood as you work . A light touch will make it better even.

Thanks for the advice thus far.

My next thought is whether to get a long or short handled adze.

Cheers

Rob

If you look on the countryworkshops website, Drew Langsner does an excellent tutorial on carving a doughbowl. I have a short handled adze by Hans Karlsson which I got from Woodlandcraftsupplies. It's expensive but a cracking piece of kit. As already suggested Pfeil gouges are very good. I use the ones suggested on the Woodsmithstore.
Good luck and look forward to seeing your finished bowl, John

I think there was a brief article on bowl carving in the first issue of Living Woods magazine?

Back