Bow saw baldes.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergroundhunter

Established Member
Reaction score
Happy new year guys n gals,

Does anyone know where I can get some traditional bow saw blades from. I have just aquaried one from evilBay. the blade has a tooth missing and and is well rusted. I am going to try and clean and sharpen it but I would like some new ones anyway.

I have seen some http://www.fine-tools.com/gramercy-tools-bow-saw.html but the shipping is 12 Euro from Germany! Is there anyone in the Uk that can supply them?

Thanks

Matt

I bought mine from the website you referred to. Delivered as quick as any UK courier.

Cheshirechappie":2bcby9i1 said:
If it's a 12" bowsaw, Flinn's do them - http://www.flinn-garlick-saws.co.uk/aca ... ml#SID=448 .

Another possible course of action, especially worth bearing in mind if the saw is an 'odd' size, is to make a blade from a suitable bandsaw blade. One bandsaw blade would provide most people with a lifetime's supply of bowsaw blades.

Well done that man, I never even thought of Flinns :oops:

Thanks

Matt

Might be worth asking in a proper old fashioned ironmongers. The type where the owner/assistant wears a brown dust coat, and knows to ask if the "widget" is left or right handed!

Bod

sound advice i called by ofchance at the local blacksmith shop and bought 12 double ended saw files for £10.00
i walked out with such a big smile on my mug .
will be returning there soon to look through the dusty file boxes

I have ordered one from Flinns. As far as I know all the men in brown coats have gone now, there is one that I can think of but unless its got induction hardened teeth he has no idea.

Matt

Ok so in my haste I didn't measure the blade in my saw I assumed it was 12", safe to say its not its 14" :oops:. So as it happens the Gramercy blade are no good either. I'm keeping the blade from Flinns as I do want to make my own saw at some point. Any ideas on a source of 14" blades anyone?

Matt

I picked up a roll of bandsaw blade (probably sized for those little 3 wheel jobs).

Should keep me in bow saw blade for several lifetimes. Cost = £1.

BugBear

Bahco bowsaw blades on flea bay at starting around £5.00 post free, in several lengths or £3.25 for the cheapies.
Just put in bowsaw blades.

Rodders

phil.p":13oz3llr said:
Without looking, I suspect they are log saw blades. That's what most people think of as a bow saw.

Ahh! I see what you mean, a wood framed bowsaw, I should have looked at the link provided and not assumed.
My apologies Regards Rodders

I can confirm that I've had some success in using sections of band saw blades. They cut to length with tin-snips, and are easy to drill with my hand-cranked pillar drill.

However, I may have been lucky in not having had to deal with specially hardened blades...

Back