Bought some nice joiners stuff on Ebay this week.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam W.

A Major Clanger
Reaction score
Stuff for the Tool Tart chest.

Been shopping for stuff I don't really need as usual.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1601.jpg

Marples Cast steel 3/8ths parer with an ebony handle.

s-l1602.jpg

s-l1603.jpg

No name rosewood or mahogany slitting gauge (haven't seen it yet, so can't really say for sure).

s-l1605.jpg
s-l1606.jpg

and a heavy joiner made smoother with a James Howarth iron. I think it's lignum and weighs a lot. I've been wanting a boxwood one, but this will do just nicely instead.

Superb Adam.
Lignum it probably is.....I have not seemn many planes in Greenheart.......
I think you may have just seen one! The picture of the sole looks exactly like greenheart,but if so,the man that made it wouldn't have had an easy time making it.Which would also apply to lignum vitae.Neither of which would wear out in a hurry.

I think you may have just seen one! The picture of the sole looks exactly like greenheart,but if so,the man that made it wouldn't have had an easy time making it.Which would also apply to lignum vitae.Neither of which would wear out in a hurry.
Around forty five years ago when I was still a teenager my father acquired some greenheart (might have been from a retiring shipwrights) As I only had hand tools he took it to a local cabinet makers he knew to get dimensioned and dressed. Upon collection he was told to never bring anymore as the ssaw had been smoking cutting it up.

Is that Yankee screwdriver labeled "North Bros?" If so, it's definitely older than 1946 (the year Stanley acquired North Bros).

Always nice to get family stuff.

Back