Bosch wireless charging

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Gibbs

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm just back from Berlin where Bosch were launching a wireless base station for charging their cordless tools. This could be a game-changer, and works in a similar way to the charging of some powered toothbrushes. It transfers power by a magnetic field, which is shielded and protected so that it doesn't anyone or anything. Users will be able to place their cordless tool on a base station and it will charge. It is likely to transform the way cordless tools are used and batteries are selected.

There's obviously much more to it than that, and we'll be sending out details with the next British Woodworking Bulletin, which you can get for free at britishwoodworking.com/bulletin. The next Bulletin will be out very soon, so sign up asap before it goes out.

Cheers

Nick

Hmm

Sounds like a gimmick to sell tools to me - it's not really wireless is it, just contactless. I wonder which of direct or contactless charging is the most efficient

I remember seeing this sort of system on an electric sports car in the States about 20 years ago, strange it hasn't been taken up by the current range of electric vehicles

Edited to add Wiki link which kind of confirms my thoughts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductive_charging

Regards Mick

Can't see induction loops being any more efficient, saves on production costs of course.

And if the batteries are encapsulated within the tool then it's not available whilst charging either.
OK for workshop and home DIY I suppose but not much use off site.

Suspect most will be just a range of batteries with a field loop built in and a contact less field charger that you place them on.

It will be some years I think before the average workshop or home has a field plate station to charge all its portable devices.

New Bosch 18V Wireless (Inductive) Battery Charging System from http://toolguyd.com/bosch-18v-wireless- ... ng-system/
Posted on May 23rd, 2014 by Stuart Deutsch

Bosch-18V-Wireless-Charging-Dock.jpg

Bosch 18V Wireless Charging Dock

Bosch has announced that they will be launching a new wireless 18V battery charging system, which will debut in Europe starting in the Fall of 2014.

Bosch has had a very busy year, introducing a new line of 18V and 12V brushless tools, an 18V 5.0Ah battery pack, and new drills with accelerometer sensors that help reduce reactive forces that can twist your wrist. This new development is another way Bosch is taking to help increase user convenience and productivity.

The new Bosch inductive charging system will include a charger, a docking frame, and a wireless-compatible 18V 2.0Ah Li-ion battery pack.

While only compatible batteries can be used with the new charger, those batteries will be completely compatible with all Bosch 18V tools.

The optional docking frame can be used to mount the wireless charger to stationary surfaces, such as workbenches or shelves, and also helps guide a tool or battery onto the charger for correct positioning.

How Does it Work?

An alternating magnetic field is created in the charger – the transmitter – which induces a current through a coil built into a wireless-charging-compatible battery – the receiver – that is placed on or in close proximity to the charger. Thus the Li-ion battery can be recharged without the need for a physical cable.

In order for wireless charging to work, you need a transmitter and compatible receiver. Because of this, you won’t be able to use the new charger with any Bosch battery, you need one built for wireless charging.

If it helps, think of inductive charging as an interaction with a friend. Let’s say you run into someone you know. You then smile and wave. If they know you, they will smile and wave back. If they don’t know you, they’ll make a face and ignore you.

This is similar to how inductive heating works, but with inductive charging the developed current is used to recharge the batteries instead of being converted to heat. There will be some heating, but hopefully Bosch has found a way to minimize energy losses.

Bosch-18V-Wireless-Charging.jpg

Bosch 18V Wireless Charging

How Long Does Charging Take?

Wireless charging typically takes longer than wired charging, due to greater energy losses, but Bosch has said that

Initial press materials are a little vague, but it sounds like wireless charging will be accomplished in the same amount of time as Bosch’s conventional 18V chargers. We’ll know more as the wireless charging system launch nears and more details are available.

Hi

So anyone care to take a guess as to what advantage this system offers? I can't see one.

Regards Mick

Spindle":1ixun6dp said:
Hi

So anyone care to take a guess as to what advantage this system offers? I can't see one.

Regards Mick

From further into the above quote.
Bosch-18V-Wireless-Charging-System-Action-Shot.jpg

Bosch’s new wireless charging systems offers a number of advantages compared to having to remove a battery and docking it to a charger for recharging.

First, you don’t need to remove the battery from the tool! It seems that you can, if you need to use the tool right away, but you don’t have to.

This means that you could partially recharge a tool anytime it would otherwise rest idly. For example, if a worker switches between a drill and screwdriver or impact driver for different tasks during an assembly operation in an industrial environment, each time one tool is put down it could be placed on the charger. This would allow batteries’ runtimes to be stretched throughout the day

Will save you having to stop for a coffee break in the workshop.

There again I suppose you could have your coffee in a tin mug and keep it warm all the while.

So will there be a wireless wireless charger or do you have to carry round a wired charger, which does seem to negate the point of having a cordless tool!

Pete

Hi

You're still going to need multiple batteries so unless you have two base units you won't be charging the battery on the tool much

And as for their comment re less environmentally 'sensitive' at the 18 volt connection - I'd be more concerned about the connection of the charger to the mains or 110 v.

Regards Mick

CHJ":peq4ypw8 said:
There again I suppose you could have your coffee in a tin mug and keep it warm all the while.

Now that's what I like to see - making good use of the energy wasted as heat by the charger to perform a useful function =D> =D>

Regards Mick

Should keep your pacemaker on No 11 as well!

Pete

It looks like it only works with 2Ah batteries
Wheat or Chaff - you decide :?:
Matt

Spindle":2kz6wtmt said:
Hi

Regards Mick

Bosch are going to bring out an tooth brush attachment for their drills.........

It could indeed be unnecessary progress. Charging times would appear to be the same. And yes it may be inefficient use of power supply compared with direct charging.

Spindle":u05jhjo5 said:
Hmm

Sounds like a gimmick to sell tools to me - it's not really wireless is it, just contactless. I wonder which of direct or contactless charging is the most efficient

Regards Mick

Spindle...

I see your point, but if there ain't any wires attaching the charger to the tool/battery, then other than the coils inside, it's a wire-less charger. Isn't it? Just like a drill without a cord is 'cordless'.

I can't see how the means of transmitting the power has any bearing on whether or not it's wireless.

Wireless; in the early days of radio, meant the signal was transmitted to the aerial via 'the ether' and not by means of wires. Your means of receiving (your radio set) did not need to be attached to the transmitter by wires, as did the equipment in the older telegraph system. The term wireless described how the sets functioned, but the word itself was generally accepted as the name for a radio set. We listened to 'the wireless', Just like Hoover's name can now describe any make of vacuum cleaner.
Am I being pedantic? Maybe.. :D

Cheers..
John

Ahh but John

My point of pedantry would be that usually there are actually no external wires connecting the battery to it's charging station on a current cordless tool - does this make it wireless in your definition? :) :wink:

Hence my reference to contactless.

I'm an old f*rt in some ways - wireless still implies RF to me or at least a means of transmitting a signal over a significant, (metres), distance.

Change for change's sake does not necessarily equate to change for the better.

Regards Mick

Latest posts

Back