Bootfair Bonanza....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
Well...it being a three day hoilday with bootfairs each day, we decided to just buy on Saturday and sell/buy on Sunday and Monday.

So...armed with a budget of £20...(I'm trying to limit myself...reduce the addiction) at 5:30am...me and the poor suffering "her indoors" set out searching the meadow for bargains...

Here's the haul...

Firstly...some rather nice hand tools...L-R....a Toga gauge...(for scavenging bits)...a nice mortice (SP!) chisel...three old Addis carving gouges...which made my day as they are lovely and I don't have any carving stuff...and a nice NOS Bedford rasp...bleedin' sharp as I found out! :oops: 50p each....bargains!

DSC_0093.JPG

I've been looking for another machine vise for ages....and for £3 couldn't turn this old Record No.2 down.........

DSC_0094.JPG

...but I was really made up getting the little red vise...it is so well made...and have to do some research on the patent/reg numbers...

DSC_0095.JPG

That's going to be really handy...and it is beautifully made!

I was lucky to find a guy selling most of a machine shop this weekend...again 50p a go...I had to stop at this lot...

DSC_0096.JPG

The two wrenches are really ancient...check out the script on this one...enigmatically giving a suggestion of age...but no maker...

DSC_0097.JPG

The combination pliers are equally ancient...predating 1933 when the Met.Rly (aka Metropolitan Railway) was finally absorbed into London Underground...

DSC_0098.JPG

Not strictly workshop related...but I think I will keep one of these old ladies for the workshop...does that count? :mrgreen: At £2 each...I will probably keep both!

DSC_0100.JPG

....and finally....something I have always wanted...an optical centre punch...

DSC_0102.JPG

I now have no excuse for getting the holes for the infill lever caps in the right place...should come in really handy and for a quid...the bargain of the weekend!

Ok guys...you had three days...spill the beans...how did you all do?

Cheers

Jim

Jimmi wrote: "Ok guys...you had three days...spill the beans...how did you all do?"

In a word Jim, dreadful. :( I think everyone must have gone to Kent. :D

We went as usual on Sunday and all I got was an (overpriced) round soled spoke shave. (Stanley, double screw.)

Roll on next week.

No bootfairs this weekend up here - anything not nailed down would have blown out into the North Sea!

Love those old Hacker radios - we are still using one in the kitchen. But I'm always disappointed that they don't still get the Home service and the Light programme - seems incongruous getting modern stuff out of them :D

Wow, that red Roberts radio brings back memories, my Grandad was blind and was given one exactly the same in the early seventies by the RNIB.

Alas, the bootfairs were disappointing up this neck of the woods...

Grey, cold, wind, rain - need I say more? Not worth the bother of going. :(

Like the li'l red vice, and those Addis gouges were an absolute steal at ten times the price. I could easily come to dislike you, Jim... :p

No skills":27x1peod said:
Is it me being thick or does that wrench have the old ford logo on it?

You might have just hit the nail on the head there No skills....but which one....

ford_logo-6145.gif

DSC_0097.JPG

None seem to match the visible script entirely....what do you think?

Makes sense though!

Jim

Hi Jimi

That is a crackin haul! :shock: Not jealous at all!! :lol:

I think the red vice is what would have caught my eye, it's the engineering! Do you know what is special about it? What are the patent numbers?

cheers
Steve

No skills":10t41v21 said:
Not sure tbh :) , when were the local ford factorys about (dagenham/ockendon etc?).

Mmmm....I would say you are right...that is a Ford logo...has to be...nobody would engrave something that close for a name stamp. Must be one of the older logos though...it's definitely older engineering.

Orcamesh":10t41v21 said:
That is a crackin haul! :shock: Not jealous at all!! :lol:

I think the red vice is what would have caught my eye, it's the engineering! Do you know what is special about it? What are the patent numbers?

Isn't it lovely! I tried doing some Google searching on the Rg.No. 81191 and the Prov. Patent 12522 but came up blank...except that the 81191 sequence belongs to 1937...other than that...nada...but I am sure someone here will be better than me at searching patents... :wink:

I also learned a lot about the No.2 construction today...when I took the screw out and the spring and washer fell out...

The retaining pin had long been broken both sides of the shaft and therefore the spring and washer had just slid free. That had me foxed for a while. So I drifted the remains of the friction fit pin out and replaced it with a cotter pin and all is now well. I guess that is why it was disgarded...and was so cheap. Sometimes you get lucky with these old tools...sometimes it's simple...sometimes fatal.

After sharpening up the little carving gouges I tried out some carving on some scrap and they work like a dream. I haven't done much carving and it is something I might just try this week.

Cheers

Jim

I would imagine its 70's at the youngest.

In the general theme of things I found a two speed hand drill last week, I'll post a picture up if anybodys interested.

No skills":3awecd5m said:
I would imagine its 70's at the youngest.

In the general theme of things I found a two speed hand drill last week, I'll post a picture up if anybodys interested.

Don't agree...for two reasons...one the bottom of the "F" curls up and across...and secondly the wrench design is way older than the 70s. I delve quite a bit into these tools and I would say it was pre 40s at least.

Would love to see the picture of the drill...more the merrier.

Jim

I'll see if I can upload one tommorrow, if somebodys interested in it I'll see if I can pass it on to them.

The 70's at youngest comment was speculation/brain fart - be interesting if you can pin it down.

No skills":2o3i0h4h said:
I'll see if I can upload one tommorrow, if somebodys interested in it I'll see if I can pass it on to them.

The 70's at youngest comment was speculation/brain fart - be interesting if you can pin it down.

I got the micro lens out to take a better picture...and it seems to be closest to 1912...

DSC_0107.JPG

...what do you think...?

Jim

Back