Boosting Wireless Router Signal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulm

IG paulm_outdoors
Reaction score
Have had a wireless network in place at home for a while now that has worked fine. Recently though my eldest daughter rearranged her upstairs bedroom and moved her pc, which had previously connected fine to the network, to a different part of the room and now the signal is very weak and breaks down frequently.

Given that she can't/won't rearrange the room as it is now filled with a new bed and furniture etc I am hoping that it may be possible to fit a higher gain antenna onto the back of the pc card on her computer, or else boost the existing signal in some way to remedy the problem?

Have had a quick look at whats available on amazon, pixmania etc but not able to identify anything that might do the job.

Any advice or guidance welcome !

The existing wireless router is a D-link Airplus Xtreme G model DI-624 if that means anything to anybody !

Forgot to say that the router is situated in a downstairs study with the main pc and broadband connection etc

Thanks, Paul. :D

Good evening,

Theres a couple of ways to go.
1. google 'wifi antenna', there are numerous replacement aerials available, the one thing to watch is that it's the correct plug type.
This is a cheap way of doing it and may be worth trying anyway, but - it might not do the job, but should do.

2. That particular unit is suitable for using with a wireless relay unit. Thats another wifi unit can be wired in and placed somewhere else in the property. It's drawbacks are - the cost and complexity but is guaranteed to work.

You don't say if she is the only user of the wireless, if so, there are also directional plug-in aerials available which really work well.

HTH

Colin

Hi,

That would be fine. It just plugs into the card in place of the existing antenna. The cable looks handy, should be able to move it around to get the best signal.

Regards,

Colin

(ps: never used pixmania - so don't know of their reputation)

Ordered one this afternoon, but found it a bit cheaper at Amazon.

Pixmania are fine though, would happily use either.

Hope it arrives soon though so I can stop getting my ear bent !

Cheers, Paul. :D

Back