Network drives and broadband routers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTR

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

This is a follow-up to this thread....

viewtopic.php?t=109108

.....where I was dipping my toe into the modern complexities of media streaming. Off the back of that, I'm now thinking about using a network drive for steaming / casting via MusicStreamer (or similar). This may also entail the replacement of our truly ancient BT HomeHub router. I will only be using music files (no films etc), and one receiver, so the demands will not be heavy.

Could someone please explain (in simple terms!) what my options are? I see that BT's latest version of the HomeHub / SmartHub has the facility to be used as a network drive, in conjunction with a suitable USB stick. I could just upgrade my BT account and get the new hub, but I take umbrage at the fact that my loyalty will be rewarded with a considerably higher bill than a new customer. Can anyone recommend a comparable third-party router?

Alternatively I could set up a stand-alone network drive that connects to the existing router. That seems excessive just to play a few tunes though. I'm not really comfortable leaving a PC on 24 hours a day to accomplish that. Can anyone comment on the merits of a stand-alone drive?

Thanks!

I have a WD external drive connected to one of the ethernet ports on my router. It comes with Twonky media server installed, I rip my CDs using media player player on my PC saving it on the ext drive I can then play it on the TV, laptop etc. I also use the Smartware backup software to backup my pc files to the ext drive.

If you just want to have some music shared over the network, then any modem / router with USB would be a simple one off cost replacement to the BT homehub. This would be ideal for you : http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/ ... D7000.aspx

You just unplug the homehub, plug in the router and configure it with the BT broadband access details. Dead simple.

If you want network attached storage that will give you more storage space and the power to stream movies over the network, you're better off with a proper NAS drive. These are designed to be always on, and are energy efficient too. I have a QNAP, which I'd definitely recommend, but it's not cheap.

Seiken":2yjxj29g said:
I have a WD external drive connected to one of the ethernet ports on my router. It comes with Twonky media server installed, I rip my CDs using media player player on my PC saving it on the ext drive I can then play it on the TV, laptop etc. I also use the Smartware backup software to backup my pc files to the ext drive.

That almost sounds ideal. Can you give me more info of the model number please? In a brief search I only found USB models or full-on NAS drives.

MattRoberts":2yjxj29g said:
If you just want to have some music shared over the network, then any modem / router with USB would be a simple one off cost replacement to the BT homehub. This would be ideal for you : http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/ ... D7000.aspx

You just unplug the homehub, plug in the router and configure it with the BT broadband access details. Dead simple.

That sounds perfect! I was thinking about replacing our router anyway because it seems to be getting a bit unreliable. Enabling network storage is a bonus, and potentially the wifi range will be better too. I just need to find what our BT login details are so I can use the thing :shock:

Thanks!

DTR":2ggdczfb said:
Afternoon all,

This is a follow-up to this thread....

viewtopic.php?t=109108
I could just upgrade my BT account and get the new hub, but I take umbrage at the fact that my loyalty will be rewarded with a considerably higher bill than a new customer. Can anyone recommend a comparable third-party router?

Thanks!

Ring them and tell them your leaving. You will get a reduced monthly bill and the latest hub but you may have to agree to a new contract.

Gerry

We use NAS drives all the time at work including dedicated media streaming units on the AV networks; qnap definitely are top of my list. They can be expensive though and it depends how much you'll actually use it - don't forget its a great way to back up the laptop etc - you do back up don't you? Of course you do, everyone does (ha!) A usb solution will be cheap but perhaps limiting in the long run.

Be aware of one thing - noise. My NAS at home sits in the hall and does make a racket, keep meaning to shift it. Some of the home orientated units are quiet but check before you buy.

If you do go the audio only route I can recommend Sonos as a good silly person proof system with a good sound.

Gerry":2s103az1 said:
Ring them and tell them your leaving. You will get a reduced monthly bill and the latest hub but you may have to agree to a new contract.

Gerry

Excellent suggestion, I'll give that a shot first.

With regards to Sonos, I appreciate the suggestions but I'm not looking to replace my existing amp! :)

DTR":3bshp8fs said:
Seiken":3bshp8fs said:

That almost sounds ideal. Can you give me more info of the model number please? In a brief search I only found USB models or full-on NAS drives.

MattRoberts":3bshp8fs said:

That sounds perfect! I was thinking about replacing our router anyway because it seems to be getting a bit unreliable. Enabling network storage is a bonus, and potentially the wifi range will be better too. I just need to find what our BT login details are so I can use the thing :shock:

Thanks!

My external (NAS) drive is a WD MyBook Live which has been superceded by the MyCloud range , a 2TB version is under £200, from the specs they still have Twonky and have added a USB port.

DTR":k6hra9ij said:
Gerry":k6hra9ij said:

Gerry

With regards to Sonos, I appreciate the suggestions but I'm not looking to replace my existing amp! :)

You dont need to.

Sonos sell active speakers. Wifi enabled amps and wifi connectors for existing hi-fi.
I have small sonos speakers in all the bed rooms, larger ones in my study and kitchen and use sonos to connect my hi'fi to the network. All run off the same app. Well worth a look.

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/connect.html

Horses for courses - we've a sonos connect which will stream to your existing amp via co-ax output. Newer version might have a digital out too. There is a more expensive one with an amp built in that you don't need. It does get you into the sonos system though, decide yourself if this is a good thing or a bad thing...

I had a WD my book live, now my cloud as someone said but it doesn't have an autobackup feature I don't think so when mine died it nearly took a lot of pictures and music with it too so you'll need a plan B for backup too. A 'real' NAS will likely let you have a RAID array of mirrored hard drives so if one goes, you have its twin to recover data from. Different makes have additional features, we've got a synology that can also work as a CCTV recorder as well as streaming music, data, etc.

You likely won't need to ditch the router if you use a switch - I've got a 5-port netgear one that sits of the router and does the internal donkey work...

Brandlin":3asvg4cn said:
DTR":3asvg4cn said:

You dont need to.

Sonos sell active speakers. Wifi enabled amps and wifi connectors for existing hi-fi.
I have small sonos speakers in all the bed rooms, larger ones in my study and kitchen and use sonos to connect my hi'fi to the network. All run off the same app. Well worth a look.

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/connect.html

The amp I've got already is wifi-enabled. The music I want to stream to it, however, is not. So unless Sonos also provides network storage (and will make my internet more reliable with a cheaper bill!) then it's not what I'm looking for.

Edit: Just to reiterate, our router is stone-age and getting unreliable, so I'm keen to replace it, regardless of the network storage.

DTR":xutb78eg said:
Gerry":xutb78eg said:

Gerry

BT clearly don't want my money, they offered me nothing :roll: . I'm now in the market for a new provider.....

DTR":3lbqbfa5 said:
BT clearly don't want my money, they offered me nothing :roll: . I'm now in the market for a new provider.....

I've been a BT customer for a very long time and I negotiate my contract every time it's due for renewal. There is a lot of competition out there and BT do want the business, it has to be said though if you aren't on fibre ( BT infinity type ) then it's less attractive to every company as they hope to sell you TV add ons etc.

Do a search and note down the best deals you can find for broadband and presumably calls, also look at the best deal available for BT new customers then decide on exactly what you need to pay.
Go back to BT insist you want to speak to their retention team, DO NOT BE PUT OFF BY CUSTOMER SERVICES and tell them you are leaving as you can get a better deal from the competition and " do I need a MAC code from you to keep my phone number ". You don't these days but it will confirm you are serious!
If you can't get what you want tell them you will definitely leave ( don't give notice at this stage), tell them you intend to email Libby Barr personally, quote the address below and ask if that's still correct ( it is), and say you will complain to her that as a long term customer you feel your business is not valued and do they not know that it's cheaper to keep an existing customer than procure a new one.

If you can't get anywhere then email Libby, she takes it seriously. [email protected]

EDIT:
If you're really stuck and want to stay on your existing package then I've probably still got a hub that will be 2 or 3 years old stuck in the loft, would need to look and don't know what postage would be but can't be much. Should be compatible with your system I think.

Bob

Lons":3adqr27c said:
DTR":3adqr27c said:

Do a search and note down the best deals you can find for broadband and presumably calls, also look at the best deal available for BT new customers then decide on exactly what you need to pay.

That's what I did. As an existing customer, an upgrade to fibre would cost me £7 extra a month plus a £60 "activation fee". If I was a new customer, the same fibre package would cost £11 less than what I'm already paying for an inferior product. A comparable fibre package with (for example) Sky would also cost about the same. I said all this to the salesperson, but the best they would offer is a waiver of the activation fee. I appreciate that if I push hard enough I might just get an upgrade, but what am I gaining by staying with BT? I'm sure Sky would be more than happy to take my money without me having to threaten them.

Lons":3adqr27c said:
EDIT:
If you're really stuck and want to stay on your existing package then I've probably still got a hub that will be 2 or 3 years old stuck in the loft, would need to look and don't know what postage would be but can't be much. Should be compatible with your system I think.

Bob

Thank you, that really is a generous offer, but I will politely decline. It's about time I upgraded our package anyway, the old copper line is getting slow (7mb/s?) and unreliable.

ScaredyCat":3adqr27c said:
Raspberry Pi + usb drive + Subsonic / Airsonic / LibreSonic

Interesting, what are the benefits of taking this route? By the time I've bought the pi, a PSU, an enclosure etc, I could have just bought a cheap router with the same facility. Or am I missing something?

DTR":2n2sksgz said:
ScaredyCat":2n2sksgz said:
Raspberry Pi + usb drive + Subsonic / Airsonic / LibreSonic

Interesting, what are the benefits of taking this route? By the time I've bought the pi, a PSU, an enclosure etc, I could have just bought a cheap router with the same facility. Or am I missing something?

I use it as a full on spotify replacement.

Just as an update to my post about BT, my contract ends later this month and I've just come off the phone having agreed another 12 month deal with BT.
It excludes line rental which I pay 12 months in advance as it saves me a full month rental but apart from that for Infinity 1 unlimited broadband up to 52mbps ( the maximum I can get here though in real life usually closer to 35 mbps )

Broadband unlimited with anytime calls, caller display and privacy calls @ £11.50 month which I'm happy enough with for the service I receive even though I could probably do better from less known suppliers.

Bob

Back