Book Worm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andys wood shed

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking to learn more about my table saw and band saw

My table saw is part of my MINIMAX lab 260 combination machine and
my bandsaw is the Jet JWBS-16

are these books still the best buy

THE TABLE SAW BOOK by KELLY MEHLER
and
THE BANDSAW BOOK by LONNIE BIRD

your thoughts or recommendations please just before I hit the confirm order button on Amazon

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy
i have both books and have found both of them excellent. I've had no training and so have had to learn from books. These two were really useful.
I also found Mark Duginske's book on the bandsaw really helpful too, though you don't have to have both :lol:
Cheers
Stewart

Hi Andy,

Both are good books but I think what you get out of them will depend on your level of experience.
I got the bandsaw book when I started woodworking and found it really helpful. Didn't get a table saw until years later but having read magazines (and been on a course that covered wood machining) I found the table saw book didn't tell much more than I already knew and the bits that were new I was never going to use (like cutting circles on the table saw).

Just my two pennies worth.

Thanks Guys for your replies

will be placing an order for the books tomorrow

I have got some birthday money left (yes one year closer to retirement)
so i can order another woodwork book. Does not have to be on the same subjects but anything you have found useful

Any recommendations.

Andy

in my view it is worth buying one of the charlesworth books.
what about buying from gmc and taking advantage of their 3 for 2o ffer.

paul :wink:

For a how to book I would get (providing it's still in print) Bob Wearing's little book "Making Woodwork Aids and Devices". It is fantastic, everything from tenoning jigs for the table saw to drilling table jigs to making a perspective drawing board to sharpening saws and making your own planes. Only thing it doesn't cover is bandsaws but you are covered on that one!
For an inspirational book I would get either the "Impractical Cabinet Maker" by James Krenov or Sam Maloof's book.

Good luck.

Thanks for the post Engineer One just added v1 and v2 to the basket :D

Thanks Spadge yes still in print and added to the growing basket :D

just right for these cold and windy nights a good book and a glass or two of whisky :lol: :lol:

Andy

On of the best books to own in my opinion is The Woodworkers Bible
by Alf Martensson, it covers just about everything and is safety concious.
American authors on the other hand pay lip service to those aspects yet use token guarding and inappropiate fences.

Latest posts

Back