Bobbins

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
As I have an almost unlimited supply of smaller pieces of wood, approx 1/2" - 1" dia (all foraged except 1/2 a dozen pen blanks I was given) and have absolutely no desire to make pens, I decided to have a go at bobbins. Didn't realise just how many different styles or designs there were. To be honest I didn't really know what they were until I started googling them. They are really fun to make and very quick. Need to be really careful, shaving very thin slivers off at a time, using a small spindle gouge (1/4") as a roughing gouge and for all the features. Any advice on these would be welcome. As I have been asked to do a stall at three charity fairs I need to put together as much as possible and so thought that some of these would be a good way of building up my stock.

Here's 2 I made from pen blanks. 5" long. Don't like the wood, too dark for my taste but good practice.

Note
Chas.......no spalting or 'rusticity' here :lol:
Graham...no bottom to go through :lol:

Pete

Look nice,Pete - I believe Graham is an exponent of the bobbin-making art.
You didn't just make them because they are best done with the lathe in top gear,did you.. :wink:
And let us know how you get on fixing the variable-speed unit - I'm sure the rest of us with Perform lathes can learn something from your unfortunate experience (moreso when you find out what it is that went wrong)

Happy turning :D

Andrew

I admit that the fact that I am stuck in top gear helped me to think of them as I am limited. I have a couple of 9" x 3" blanks waiting to become bowls but not at top speed.

I am waiting on some parts from Axminster. As soon as they arrive I'll strip the head down and do some WIP pics so that the experts can tell me where I am going wrong :D Until then I am actually enjoying the hunt for things that I can make. Making me think small and light.

Pete

Bodrighy":3oscjbj1 said:
Note
Chas.......no spalting or 'rusticity' here :lol:
Graham...no bottom to go through :lol:

Pete
Yeh, I guess you can get then out from in between the cracks with no problem.

Very nice Pete. :D
Good useage of small bits.
Still can't believe you've turned those at full pelt :shock:
Braver than me :roll:

Pete did you sort your locking handles out.If so what did you get in the end :?:
Paul.J.

Nice bobbins Pete, have you seen David Springett's book on bobbins, some great examples, and styles.

Paul.J":231917ko said:
Very nice Pete. :D
Good useage of small bits.
Still can't believe you've turned those at full pelt :shock:
Braver than me :roll:

Pete did you sort your locking handles out.If so what did you get in the end :?:
Paul.J.

Believe me, these are a doddle at high speed. Small 6" x 1/2" pieces are easy at high speed. Especially as I found that I needed to shave very small slivers off with a skew or small gouge. All I have to do now is researcj design etc. Good practice on spindle work as well.

By the way I am holding the wood in a 20mm chuck, with the tailstock just touching the end, tighten it and the wood bends as it is so thin to start, not between centres.

Pete

A pair of pliers at the moment. I have to measure the thread and send off for some. .....really hi tech I know :oops:

Pete

Bodrighy":3tn0fhrb said:
By the way I am holding the wood in a 20mm chuck, with the tailstock just touching the end, tighten it and the wood bends as it is so thin to start, not between centres.
Pete

Pete, re the tailstock, as you have a hollow revolving centre with the perform, try turning yourself a vee cupped replacement tip out of a piece of wood such as beech to fit in it instead of the metal point, or even a replacement tip with a 5mm hole in the end.

Once you have trued up the end of your blank to a cone or spigot it may run better located in this.

CHJ":2kv3neqb said:
Bodrighy":2kv3neqb said:
Pete

Pete, re the tailstock, as you have a hollow revolving centre with the perform, try turning yourself a vee cupped replacement tip out of a piece of wood such as beech to fit in it instead of the metal point, or even a replacement tip with a 5mm hole in the end.

Once you have trued up the end of your blank to a cone or spigot it may run better located in this.

You are a mine of useful information Chas. I'll have a go at that. I had been wondering about this as I have to cut the end of the blank off due to the little hole it makes and have been thinking of buying another centre. This sems a much better idea, softer and less invasive of the wood on these small blanks. Could be useful for other supporting roles as well, e.g. goblets. At present use wads of paper towel for that job. Thanks.

Pete

An idea from D Springett's book that I use are wooden collets to hold the bobbin. In his book he uses brass collets, but a good hard wood works just as well.

Turn a piece of hard wood to the shape of a reversed top hat with a small brim, and to fit your chuck jaws, drill a hole in the centre the same size as your going to make the neck diameter. then cut in half with a fine saw to make a split collet. I use half inch jaws in a Multistar Duplex because they hold the blank on the square then the collet, and the brim part is to stop the collets disappearing down into the jaws .

*** Turn blanks to round between centres.

Put bobbin blank into the chuck with just enough protruding to turn the neck and head. Once neck and head is completed grip the neck by the shoulder in the collet, in the chuck, and finish the rest of the bobbin.

I have made a few hundred bobbins for a couple of lace making clubs, and the benefit of the above method was the shorter overhang of the spindle. It doesn't flex at all. The only thing you have to do is make the neck size uniform to fit collets.

I don't use the tail support when turning the neck/head, but do when doing the body. I just leave the small dimple that is left by the centre, hand made init? :roll: Also it is hidden a bit by the spangle that lace makers fit to their bobbins.

Edit:- *** in description of blanks.

Thanks Tam. I didn't realise that there was so much to learn about something that seemed as simple as a bobbin.... :-#

Pete

Not a lot to learn Pete, I only did it that way for speed. I was doing bobbins in my sleep. :lol:

A word of advice, drill a fine hole in the rear end for the spangle wire. I did 100, and was given them back to drill the holes. It's a lot easier when they are in the lathe.

That's it Pete, I use a .75mm drill in a Proxon drill. Pop the hole in before you've done all the turning, in case you get a bit of splintering. I believe they are intended to tension the thread, and also stop the bobbin rolling around on the lace makers pillow. (Not me, all from Springett's book) :roll:

Hi Tam,

Tried your home made chuck idea and it worked fine. No cutting of or finishing on the ends, all done o the lathe. Gives me an extra inch to play with as well.

Pete

Latest posts

Back