BlueMiG inverter MIG settings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puddlejumper

Reaction score
Afternoon all,
I have recently replaced my old SuperMIG 160 with a BlueMIG 160 Inverter MIG. It is so much easier to set up and use BUT I could really use some advice on voltage settings v metal thickness. On some 3-5mm steel it works brilliantly. However I am currently welding up a rather rotten old Mini for a friend. Currently using 0.6 wire and Hobbyweld 5% Argon gas. Panels are around 1.5mm thick. I’ve tried 0.8mm wire but on the lowest voltage setting it’s still a bit too much for the metal.
Any advice greatly received, thanks
Doug

I am currently welding up a rather rotten old Mini for a friend.
Have done many old rust buckets in my day, going back to when you could pick up things like a Mini for £30 but always with gas, oxyacetylene is just much easier on non perfect metal and with gas you can heat up metal to shape into place.

Your MIG settings are all interelated, start with the metal thickness you are welding which will govern the current required and the voltage will set the arc parameters but also your arc length during welding will effect this as well. To short and narrow bead with too wide giving a flat bead so it is all down to practice which is why I always suggest getting some basic training, an evening class would do wonders to get you to a good position as learning on someones car is not ideal.

On a bit of scrap I would start at about 18v and adjust from there. More argon in your gas mix would help, it spreads the welding arc more than almost pure co2

Back