Bloody motorists

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cambournepete

Established Member
Reaction score
I took my family down to Stevenage today to visit relatives before they make their permanent escape to Turkey.

On the way down we were tail-gated for over 10 miles down the A1198 by some silly person in a Honda.
Why?
Well presumably because I took notice of all the speed limits... :roll: :roll:

On the way back (in the dark) we were left the A1 at the Letchworth junction and went up the A505 (two lane dual carriageway).
We stuck at the required 50MPH for the bit between the roundabouts and were overtaken by a silver Citroen Picasso.
After the second roundabout the 50MPH speed limit disappears so we sped up a bit to an indicated 75 and overtook the Picasso and the car in front of it.
We stayed in the outside lane for a little bit with the Picasso following us (a bit too closely) as there was a lorry a little way ahead in the inside lane.
Once we had cleared the lorry by what I judged to be a safe distance I started moving into the inside lane only to discover the Picasso was already there!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
The cars - probably the wing mirrors - touched (loudly) and the Picasso sped off into the night.
No damage to our car (and presumably none to the other) but I still feel very shaken up 2 hours later at what might have happened.
I know there was no car in front of the lorry when I overtook it so this Picasso . must have really carved up the lorry and sped up a lot as I was pulling across.
He must have also been in my blind spot when I started pulling across.

It's no wonder there are so many accidents on the roads when there are idiots like this about. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

golden rule. always check your blind spot. it does not matter about the other car, you would have hit him! if you know you have a blind spot? wait a while and indicate before you pull across.

Cambridgeshire is the worst for it..

I drove to/from Gretna Green for a wedding without issues until I entered Cambridgeshire at which point I felt like I was playing Russian Roulette.

Blimey - that's two of us had a bad day with other motorists!

I was undertaking on a dual-carriageway and this silly person just started pulling in to me...

cambournepete":1dihstnp said:
After the second roundabout the 50MPH speed limit disappears so we sped up a bit to an indicated 75 and overtook the Picasso and the car in front of it.

Well you weren't sticking to it there!

We stayed in the outside lane for a little bit with the Picasso following us (a bit too closely) as there was a lorry a little way ahead in the inside lane.
Once we had cleared the lorry by what I judged to be a safe distance I started moving into the inside lane only to discover the Picasso was already there!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
The cars - probably the wing mirrors - touched (loudly) and the Picasso sped off into the night.

Sorry, your fault as you changed lanes.

No damage to our car (and presumably none to the other) but I still feel very shaken up 2 hours later at what might have happened.

Let's hope he ain't got damage and your reg number.

Sounds like you were no better than the others on the road today. :roll:

Gary":2lid3xah said:

not so - undertaking is contrary to the highway code , so the other driver shouldnt have tried to go up petes inside

Gary":2lid3xah said:
sounds like you were no better than the others on the road today. :roll:

a tad harsh - you dont drive a silver picaso do you :roll:

Coming out of Milton Keynes today, I was done up the @rse at a roundabout because the silly billy behind me decided he could pull onto said roundabout, despite the traffic from the right, and MY CAR being stationary in front of him!
Scared the cr@p out of my little boy in the back seat.
Thankfully no damage, but a bloody loud bang.
Said silly billy then got out and told me it was alright as there was no damage he needn't inform HIS insurance. What a complete pr1ck. He thought I was to blame for not pulling out into oncoming traffic!!!

Rant over.

Adam.[/i]

Gary":2oy89du0 said:
cambournepete":2oy89du0 said:

And the above goes to show why there are so many bad motorist on the road, a massive lack of understanding for the highway code. I bet your the one who sits in the middle lane on the motorway too. I can't complain too much thou as I've spent many an enjoyable hour cutting idiots like you out of cars so without you I'd have missed out on that fun.

Glad to hear you and yours are ok Adam!

Aces and Eights":14jflves said:
Coming out of Milton Keynes today, I was done up the @rse at a roundabout because the silly billy behind me decided he could pull onto said roundabout, despite the traffic from the right, and MY CAR being stationary in front of him!
Scared the cr@p out of my little boy in the back seat.
Thankfully no damage, but a bloody loud bang.
Said silly billy then got out and told me it was alright as there was no damage he needn't inform HIS insurance. What a complete pr1ck. He thought I was to blame for not pulling out into oncoming traffic!!!

Rant over.

Adam.[/i]

thats milton keynes for you - the only place outside london where people try to slot into gaps not much longer than their car - and drive with the philosophy that if the back end isnt sliding on corners they arent going fast enough.

hope your little boy is okay

Yeah, he's alright thanks. He was asleep again twenty minutes later.
I think it was more my overreaction and the panic in my voice when I asked him if he was alright that scared him!
Thanks for the concern though.

Pete, sorry I hijacked your thread :roll: :wink:

Adam.

Gary":1qtn3vjr said:
cambournepete":1qtn3vjr said:

Replys like this water me off

I ride a bike so im used to awful driving the worst so far was a copper but hay we are all human

I've done over fifty years of driving and have seen it all and survived so far, must confess I have had a close one in Cambs. Lady driver on a roundabout with a big 4x4, what I would do to her if I get my hands on her can not be posted here. :)

I was driving last night and was in traffic, following a young chap in some kind of Jap car. He was having a nightmare of a journey. In a distance of about 4 miles he was cut up on the roundabout by late lane changes across his path by two different cars going in opposite directions, he was driving down a dual carriageway and on two separate occasions other cars pulled out in front of him just as he was about to overtake causing him to slam on the brakes. He was coming up to some traffic lights and about to pull into the right hand lane (which was empty) and a car from the inside lane made a late decision to pull into the right lane again causing him to brake hard. By this time me and my passengers had noticed all this and were wondering how more bad luck he would get when the latest car to baulk him stalled at the lights and could not restart making us all wait for the left lane to clear and then steer round!

I was shocked at the poor std of driving and much of it at 60-70 mph. Interestingly none of it was down to speeding (which vested interests would have us believe is the new Satan of driving now that drinking is less socially acceptable) but down to pure inattention and poor observation by other road users. Now the young chap in front, could have done a slightly better job by predicting some of the behaviour but not much as he was driving pretty well IMO.

I am convinced we need mandatory higher levels of driver training to further impact the RTA rates.

Sorry, your fault despite the other driver being aggressive.

If you are in the outside lane and there is no reason to be there then you should pull into the inside lane.

A lorry up ahead is not a valid reason unless you are currently overtaking it. You could easily have pulled in to let the traffic flow and then pulled out when you actually *needed to*.

You're not a middle lane warrior are you? :lol:

Chems":1lw4af5n said:
I bet your the one who sits in the middle lane on the motorway too.

Well that would be one bet you'd lose. :wink:

I can sympathise. Wifey used to say I drive to too close to cars in front and over the years have tried consciously to leave substantial tarmac between me and the car in front (local roads that is). On a motorway - the bigger the distance the better.

It does surprise me doing 30 or 40 to find a car come so close, hardly any of his\her bonnet is visible in my rear view mirror. I just take my foot off the gas at that point and have been known to do it down to 15mph and then shoot off again.

Years ago I had a nutter on the M1 tailgate me, even tho the motorway was empty with either high beams on or the lights were mis-adjusted. For 2-3 junctions, despite repeated flashing of the rear fogs, touching the brake every know and then. Only thing that worked was taking the foot off the gas down to 10mph, at which point he pulled in front. I should have known better - put it down to youth - I put my high beams on and stuck it right up his rear bumper - to say he dung himself is putting it politely.

Problem with folk undertaking is that the evidence only shows the outer car moved in and struck a car already there - it would be entirely the outer cars fault. Not right, but the way these things work.

Dibs

Dibs-h":1yv13gj4 said:
Problem with folk undertaking is that the evidence only shows the outer car moved in and struck a car already there - it would be entirely the outer cars fault. Not right, but the way these things work.

Dibs

For some reason big soft moose thinks otherwise. :roll:

PeterBassett":12r9uz9z said:
Sorry, your fault despite the other driver being aggressive.

If you are in the outside lane and there is no reason to be there then you should pull into the inside lane.

A lorry up ahead is not a valid reason unless you are currently overtaking it. You could easily have pulled in to let the traffic flow and then pulled out when you actually *needed to*.

You're not a middle lane warrior are you? :lol:

huh ?

try reading the post propperly - he overtook the lorry then pulled back in at a safe distance in front, only to find that the car behind had already overtaken the lorry, presumably cut it up, and was now undertaking him

so you are essentially saying that cam pete should have cut the lorry up so that the other driver wasnt obstructed in his pursuit of driving like a silly billy

the only "fault" on petes part that i can see is that he should have checked his mirrors and his blind spot before pulling in - but if he knew he was passed the lorry and wasnt expecting anything to be inside of him its easy to see how he could miss checking the blind spot.

to say its his fault that the other driver was driving like a knobend is hardly sympathetic , or for that matter accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back