block flooring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Some time ago I got a load of end grain pine blocks from the Wadkin factory. I plan on using them in my workshop. Obviously these were laid on bitumen in 1922. To use modern adhesive like Lecol to do 30m2 would cost a few quid. I thought I'd do it the old way and lay them back on tar.
Has anyone any experience at this kind of thing who could offer any pointers

I cant claim any experience of laying this kind of floor but I have a feeling the smell of tar will be overpowering in a closed up shed for a long time after laying.
Regards
John

I know next to nothing regarding block flooring, but you can probably get a modern product to suit. Skrewfux sell 7kg tubs of Bostik Leybond for this type of flooring at £40. The flatter the underfloor the less you'll need. I suggest looking at this first.

Thanks for the replies chaps, I've laid parquet before using modern sticky stuff. I just wanted to try it the old way. I thought it might be cheaper as well.

F21 is a dipping bitumen, just cold set and a lot easier and safer as a result. It is cheaper than the PUR/MSP adhesives (about half the price,IIRC).

Think there's some pictures on my woodblock floor thread on here.

Dibs-h":98cmfkt4 said:
F21 is the sort of stuff I used and apart from getting it off my hands\clothes afterwards - worked a treat.
Butter gets tar off your hands. Used to help out painting tar on the bottom of wooden boats many years ago.Marge will work also but who wants second best.
Regards
John

Back