Blanket Chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
The sycamore and walnut box made by Syntec4, with wooden hinges reminded of a blanket chest I did some years ago. Couple of pics shown below:

securitypics014.jpg

securitypics005.jpg

The timber is reclaimed Douglas Fir which I lifted of the beach at Kimmeridge Bay in Dorset. We just happened to be there after a Channel storm when some deck cargo from a freighter was washed up on the beach, needless to say everyone was taking home large planks to timber that day. I lugged 3, 4m x 150cm x 5cm lumps of timber up the cliffs to the car, where I just happened to have a roof rack fitted -had to drive ever so carefully home tho' :roll: .
After a couple of years drying I skimmed off the top with a scrub plane, then deep sawed it into planks and dried it for another couple of years. I made the wooden hinges without to much trouble, timber for the hinge pins and handle is ebony. There is a tray inside for storing pillow cases and smaller items. In all, it's been a very useful thing to have at the bottom of the bed and gets used for storing all sorts of bed linen - Rob

Very nice work - wish I could find timber like that :( (Although the Tees and the Skerne aren't really the place to find ocean-going freight ships.. :lol: )

Andrew

woodbloke":1ozhnw38 said:
Should have been 3 off, 4m x 15cm x 5cm - Rob

I had this vision of you trying to rip ladies off the Empire State Building.

Still massive, heavy, baulks, though.

They were big lumps of timber and needed a lot of drying out. I lost quite a lot of each face due to sand and grit embedded in the surface but the good thing was that two of the three lumps were knot free which I understand is not unusual for this type of timber. Its quite pleasant stuff to work with being harder than the normal Red Pine we're used to in this country. I think the finish I used on the chest was a couple of coats of polyurethane with some wax and wire wool to complete it - Rob

Back