Blanket chest project - a couple of questions...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pidgeonpost

Established Member
Reaction score
In response to my daughter's request for yet MORE storage space, I'm in the process of making a blanket chest out of some recycled timber (mahogany of at least two flavours) that I've had for ages.
I've been thinking about hinges for the lid, and I guess these could be either internal or external to the lid. There are plenty of 'medieval' type strap hinges for sale on the web, but I reckon brass would look better against mahogany. Trouble is, I can't find anything much online - even tried architectural antiques on Ebay.
Does anyone know of a source please folks? I doubt they will be cheap!
Next question will be which finish to use. I see there are some posts regarding finishes for mahogany in the 'Finishes' forum which I'll take a look at again. I noticed the colour on a walnut box I made years ago, and wondered about a walnut stain - anyone tried this? I kind of favour a spirit stain which will penetrate well. This will hopefully prevent any scratches and knocks from showing the lighter timber beneath (at least some of the timber is sapele I think, which is quite light in colour).
Any thoughts, tips welcome - thankyou folks!

Hi Mate,

Have you tried Ironmongery direct or hafele?

They may be able to help. Buy the hinges before starting the project. The hinges may govern the thickness of your panels etc...

I hope this helps. I am new to the forum and this is my first post.

Hi Fishmat,

Welcome to the forum. :D

Due to the high level of spammers your post has been caught by our spamulator :x so I have quoted it so the links are useable. 8)

Once you have a few more posts to your name this will stop happening.\:D/
Fishmat":2dgy9pde said:
Hi Mate,

Have you tried www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk or www.hafele.co.uk

They may be able to help. Buy the hinges before starting the project. The hinges may govern the thickness of your panels etc...

I hope this helps. I am new to the forum and this is my first post.

Thanks Dave, it's good to know the forum is like this, it keeps it free for proper use.

Thanks again,

John

Fishmat/John...thanks for the tips - tried Hafele, but their web-site doesn't go into any depth - just says 'we stock lots of stuff'. They are closed til new year, but will try them when they re-open if no joy elsewhere. No joy on Ironmongery direct either, but I did find some here
These are comparatively cheap compared with some on offer at chandlery web sites, so not sure what quality will be like - don't want 'em flopping around.
The top of the chest will probably be 3/4" or 1" solid stock as I've been told to make it suitable for sitting on. It's already pretty heavy, and that's without the floor, lid, and some of the panels. Will probably need a donkey to move it.
Welcome to the Forum BTW!

Hi Pidgeonpost,
Just a thought, try keeping an eye open at boot sales. I have 'captured' a large variety of superb brass hinges and other hardware for literally pennies.
Last week I found 4 pairs of massive bronze door hinges for 50p! Would be at least £12 each.
Regards
Martin

Martin - thanks for that! Must admit I hadn't thought of boot sales. If you happen to drop on a pair looking for a home perhaps you'd 'pm' me :) !Must admit I'm surprised that there isn't much choice on-line. Dunno what I'm going to use if I can't get strap hinges. Ordinary butts would do, but straps would be so much better.
Guess I'll keep looking!

Thanks again!

Thanks Argus...will have a look there too. I've also dug out a couple of other web-sites that stock a very good range of hinges and other hardware - one in this country, one in States. Will post them on the forum when I get a mo.

Latest posts

Back