Blanket Box Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mezzanine Rob

Established Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of starting a blanket box, one of the items on the wife's wish list. I need to start knocking some items off this list to justify the money that disappears on tools etc.

Any way my question is how good are the piano hinges sold in B&Q or similar establishments, they seem very cheap for what they are. Or is there any problem in using say 3 normal, decent quality hinges.
I was looking at the piano type purely because most blanket boxes seem to use them.

If the B&Q ones are no good and you guys think piano is the best option where do you suggest I go to buy a decent quality at a sensible price.

This is one of those projects that I wasn't expecting to cost a great deal but have already spent too much on some cherry. So please consider value for money when replying.

Thankyou in anticipation.

Never found piano hinges that were expensive. Seen a few blanket boxes made with flush hinges. Like brass back flaps myself if the piece lends itself to it. Piano hinge will require a well fitted lid if its to operate smoothly which I`m sure you`re aware of.
All the best
rob

I made a pine blanket chest for someone two-years ago [two-years, already?!? :shock:] and, after a bit of messing about with some others, I went with 50mm brass butt hinges. Cheap piano hinges are only made of thin steel that bends easily, with a brass-plating finish. In my opinion, they're much trickier to fit than butt hinges, even if you do cut a (very!) shallow recess. I think they came from Screwfix but, the ones stocked in my local hardware shop are of decent quality and priced well, too.

Have you considered fitting any stays to prevent the lid from slamming shut? Isaac Lord have a good range.

I made a small chest last year and went with the piano hinges. They do bend easily like Olly said but for the price and project it worked for me. Like with anything in this world, the more you spend usually the better the quality. Keep that in mind. Good luck to you and post some pics when you're done!

I agree with Olly. After all that work it would be a shame not to finish it off with some decent butt hinges. +1 for pics.

Jim

yetloh":20bbvpex said:
I agree with Olly. After all that work it would be a shame not to finish it off with some decent butt hinges. +1 for pics.

Jim
...and again. Fit decent brass butts rather than an el cheapo piano hinge - Rob

Back