Blanket box - finished at last!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pidgeonpost

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd post a couple of pics of this blanket chest I've just finished making for my daughter from some secondhand mahogany over Christmas - yet another unpaid commission!

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

All solid timber - simple M+T structure, cleats in underside of lid are just dry dovetailed in (one screw on each hinge runs into the cleat).
Finished it with hand scraper and sanded down to 400 grit, then walnut spirit stain, Danish oil, and wax on top.
The design just evolved as I went along, which (I find) inevitably brings it's own errrm 'challenges'!
Didn't turn out too badly (though I can't remember the last time I made anything without making any mistakes)!
Can't make my mind up whether the hinges are a bit OTT, but they are very beefy, and may look less in-yer-face when the shine wears off. The stay is home brewed, and I'm not sure it will stand the test of time.
Now that's over, wife wants the living room redecorated...tea-break over - back on yer heads....

Lovely job PP but I personally couldn't live with those hinges. Gotta agree with you they are OTT. But hey, that's only my opinion.

Rgds

Noel

I suspect the hinges will be easier to live with as the chest ages and develops its own patina. Even with the hardware in its present state, I'd love to have a piece of furniture like that in my house.

Gill

A very nice chest, PP. For me, the hinges are a bit 'in your face' and, by comparison, the handles on the side look a little too feeble. But still a very nice chest =D>

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Gorgeous, is that a wooden stay too?

Is there a slight bow appearing in the top already or (I hope) is it the camera angle?

Andy

It's very nice.
With regards the hinges, I like them and they are okay but it seems to me they should be that little closer to the edges (really a little!). But the main critic would be the handles are too small in comparison. If you are using big hinges you must match with big handles.
My thoughts :D

Good piece - agree with comments regarding handles and hinges, 'specially handles....very important IMO - Rob

Thanks for the comments folks - always good to get some feedback!
Just in response to a couple of questions and comments....

Finish was Walnut spirit stain, then hand scraper plus 180/320/400 grit paper, 3 coats Danish oil, then Liberon wax. The chest is actually a bit darker than it appears in the flash photo and has a softer sheen.
Agree the handles are a bit skinny. They are actually Victorian drawer handles I bought on Ebay - quite strong in themselves, and bolted through the chest with 6 x 4mm brss csk bolts per handle. Look too small though. I would have liked proper brass trunk handles (you know- the ones that have a stop built in to stop your hand getting pinched?), but have failed totally the get them, though I'll keep an eye on Ebay.
One of the 'customer requirements' was that it must be strong enough to sit on - hence the solid rather than panelled lid, and the hinges as close together as I dared. In trying to get hold of the hinges I came across a couple of useful web-sites which I can post if anyone is interested.
Regarding the bow in the top - I hope it's just the camera angle, as it was flat when last checked.
The stay is also wooden - just a 'T'-shaped slot in one end of the stay, which pivots on the sawn-off shank of a 10-gauge brass woodscrew in the 'hinge'. It needs another coat of looking at in my opinion as I was running out of patience! I reckon it's likely to break - but have you seen the price of decent solid brass ones!
Must go and get me straight-edge!

Stunning PP. I think the hinges will look more at home with a bit of age. As most others have said the side handles could do with being a bit bigger.
No big deal though, I would still like it in my house :D

Can we have a look inside?

Lee.

Back