Blade slap on Basato 5-2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr T

Established Member
Reaction score
A few years ago, in a rash moment, I bought a Sceppach Basato 56-2 and regretted it ever since. One problem I have with it is that when I use a thinner blade, 1/2" perhaps, I get a rattling sound from the casing on the up blade side. On thicker blades, 3/4", it's OK. I think what's happening is that there is a bit of flutter in the blade which makes it slap against the casing. You can see on the inside of the casing where there is wear in the paint.
IMG_0967.JPG

Apologies for the picture quality and orientation.

I think the blade sets up a resonance which causes the flutter. I have tried adjusting the ension to change this to no avail and also slackened the hinges for the case opening so the case is moved away from the blade but still have the problem. Has anyone else with this model had this problem, if so how have you dealt with it?

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0967.JPG
    IMG_0967.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 124
Steve Maskery uses very thin blades in a big Scheppach - presumably without too much problem. I expect he'll be along shortly.
Duncan

Would fixing a small block of wood in there between the case and the blade, lightly pressing against the blade in its normal position, solve the problem?

OK, let me re-phrase that. Fixing a small block of wood in there lightly pressing against the blade in its normal position would solve the problem, but it might cause other issues.

Blade flutter can be tightened out. just increase the tension untill the blade appears stationary from the front
you tube is your friend.

As Mike has suggested can you fit a couple of wood blocks (similar to guide blocks) at mid point in the distance between the upper/lower wheels. This would half the effective length and cut the wave deflection to about a quarter

Ian

This is probably no use to you at all but i have a 5-2 and never had that problem.
Speak to NMA and see what they say.
all the best
rob

Thanks for the advice. In will check for flutter when I am in the workshop next week. I have played with the tension adjustment already and have it set higher than I would like which I thought would have cured it. I'm just a bit surprised that the casing is so close to the blade that this would be an issue.

Chris

Latest posts

Back