Blade for Makita mitre saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOTTNICK

Established Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that this is a pretty obvious question, but I'd hate to make a mistake here.
I have a Makita LS1018 Chop saw.
It takes 260mm blades
I need to cut some aluminium tubing.
250mm blades are inexpensive.
260mm blades are expensive.
I only need to make about 10 cuts, so don't want to spend lots of cash.
I am guessing the 250mm blade will be ok?
I realise I might need to raise the tubing up a touch.
Is my assumption correct?
Nick

I reckon you will be ok. I have been cutting loads and loads of 1.5mm zinc sheets with a normal wood blade in my track saw, and table saw. no adverse effects so far. Goggles a must though.

Not done it myself but most chop saws can cut Alu (usually with specific fine tooth saw blades) and I don't believe the 10mm diff in diameter matters (given you've identified the need to raise the work piece).

FWIW, I've heard that it's better to 'chop' than to slide; clamping and eye protection are important; lubrication (e.g. WD40) is optional (thicker section= greater need for lube/cooling). There's a few tips by Youtubers who've done it - search away; is your current blade near the end of it's life? If so, use that and buy a new 260mm one?

Let us know how it goes.

You need a negative rake blade that won't pull its self into the work piece.

I have cut metal on my band saw its safer than a chopsaw, how big is your tubing?

I could cut it for you if you haven't got a bandsaw.

Pete

Racers":2mq2hy21 said:
You need a negative rake blade that won't pull its self into the work piece.

I have cut metal on my band saw its safer than a chopsaw, how big is your tubing?

I could cut it for you if you haven't got a bandsaw.

Pete

Hey Pete - thanks for the offer, and for the info too.
The tubing is 20mm 10 guage.
I can see specific blades for aluminium on Ebay for about £6 or so - and as I don't have many cuts, I'll go that way I reckon.
Also - as the tubes are going to be for a large outdoor Tubular Bell structure, I may need to do some fine tune cutting and the Makita is great for that.

I do have a band saw - so if cutting isn't as straightforward as I hope, I'll invest in a metal cutting blade for that.

I see you're in Nottingham too.
I'm in West Bridgford.

Nick

Mike.S":6bxymohi said:
FWIW, I've heard that it's better to 'chop' than to slide; clamping and eye protection are important; lubrication (e.g. WD40) is optional (thicker section= greater need for lube/cooling). There's a few tips by Youtubers who've done it - search away; is your current blade near the end of it's life? If so, use that and buy a new 260mm one?

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the advice here.
I'll be doing it in a couple of weeks. A large outdoor Tubular Bell structure.
I'm quite excited about it.
I'll post pictures (and maybe video) when it's finished.

Nick

Hi Nick

Just make sure you have the tubes clamped well the blade can catch and spin them round, not fun!

I am in Sherwood.

Pete

If the blade is only 10mm smaller you probably only need to pack the material away from the fence. But as its tube you need a good way to clamp it.

Racers":1ekaq11d said:
Hi Nick

Just make sure you have the tubes clamped well the blade can catch and spin them round, not fun!

I am in Sherwood.

Pete

I hope I would have thought of that. I certainly will now.
Cheers

Back