Blade Cleaning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jitter

Established Member
Reaction score
What is everyone using to clean their blades? I like the idea of the Simple Green solution (actually the purple heavy duty version). Non toxic, biodegradable, not really harmful like other chemical cleaners etc. The only problem is that it is imported from the United States and therefor comes at a premium. Surely the U.K. has something similar? Interested to see what you are all using, if any good and wether or not it is biodegradable.

oven cleaner works for removing sap from bandsaw blades, I use it when I've been cutting pine.

All the blade cleaners contain sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) as a key ingredient, with added perfume and 500% mark up for marketing.

Oven cleaner as above, Cillit Bang grease remover, generic grease remover spray from the £1 shop and sodium hydroxide solution made by dissolving caustic soda crystals in water are all possibilites. The perfomance of each is identical. The price varies.

The end result of each is a mildly alkaline solution which you can pour down the drain.

Back