Blade care?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodenstx

Established Member
Reaction score
I properly popped the TS55's cherry over the past few days with a slightly dirty venture into 4 cuts of OSB (did it very slowly at 3/4 speed on the saw as per the book) which it made beautiful joints with :lol:, and then broke down an 18mm and 12mm sheet of MDF, then a couple of sheets of 12mm and 6mm ply.

All taken nice and slowly, few mistakes along the way like forgetting which side was "the good side" so 2.2 mm shorter :lol:

I've noticed that the side of the blade and parts of the teeth that aren't TC, have a slightly sticky coating. I assume this is glue/resin, if that's the case, what do I do to remove it and how often should one do this?

Lots of stuff will get it off. Oven cleaner, paraffin, diesel (not all together!). Just put the blade in a shallow dish or tray and cover with the solvent. Leave it for a bit and clean off with a toothbrush.

I seem to remember that someone on here gave a very good reason why you shouldn't use something or other - it might have been the oven cleaner, I can't remember - something to do with reacting with the WC weld. But I've never had problem. But then again, I very rarely have to clean my blades.

Cleaned all my saw blades a while back using some eco-friendly laundry detergent left here by an eco-friendly family member who was visiting. Worked really well. Now I can saw through more bits of rain forest with eco-friendy ease.

Mr Muscle window cleaner and a brass brush, also works on router cutters etc.
I do my saw blades on a plastic carrier bag on the bench it keeps the bench dry.

Pete

Latest posts

Back