Blade brakes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt1245

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone know of any after market blade brakes that can be fitted to scms? The saw in question is an elektra beckum KGS 300.

Thanks.
Matt.

Hi Matt

There are two types generally used on induction blades - friction brakes, which need to be built in to the motor in most cases and DC injection brakes which can be fitted as an "aftermarket" solution. The big problem is cost and size. A basic DC braking module needs to be wired-in via the eStop (emergengy stop) button, which should be a latch on type and which I believe the KGS also lacks. The starter needs to be a DoL or Direct-on-Line type in order that the correct electrical isolation can be achieved in the event of a power failure. In the absence of either of these you'd need to consider a complete brake module and start-stop package such as those manufactured by Crompton Controls. The problems that I can see are that the enclosures for these units are designed to fit onto static machinery and are physically rather large, and that the cheapest complete solution around (not Crompton) is around the £250 to £300 + VAT mark. You could possibly design your own from components (I did in a couple of cases), but replacing your saw with a later/different braked model might prove cheaper

Edit: Assuming that EB don't sell a kit. Do they?

Scrit

Thanks for the quick response Scrit. Replacing the saw isn't really an option (only got the saw today :lol: ) and it's more machine than i can afford to buy new at the moment, so it looks like i'll have to stick with it for the moment. The machine runs sweet and the guard works perfectly, so should keep me out of trouble.

Thanks.

Matt.

Matt,

There's a brake conversion kit for that saw, I'm sure a few members have fitted it in the past.

I'd contact EB and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

:D

Thanks Mr Goalie, i'll give them a bell tomorrow and see what they can tell me. Got a service diagram faxed to me today, but doesn't mention anything on there.

Thanks.
Matt.

Back