Bird Tables - A couple of Qs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joiner_sim

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have started making bird boxes as some of you may have seen on the Projects section of the forum and a neighbour has heard about this also! So I have been asked to make a bird table now and I want to make a decent job of it.

I have looked about on the net for a few ideas and information. Now I have gathered my info I have a few questions to ask those who have made one before:

The base.... Do I make one that is flat and slightly off the ground with "packers", or do I make one that is off the ground and erm... how best to desribe, "like an eisel"?

The height from the ground to the underside of the table..... I have looked around on the net and cannot find this size in real plans. Nor do commercial sites offer the size up for you to see. eBay however... I looked at two listings, the first said 50"/1270mm and the other said 69"/1750mm. Which is best or would I be better to ask the person who its for as they will want to be able to reach the table easily for putting out food. (Think I've answered my own question there, but would still like to know what the minimum height should be, don't want birds being put at risk)

And finally.... the height of the roof from the table... Again, nowhere on the net offers this info, except for Ebay listings! One said 14"/350mm and the other said 21"/530mm. Whats best recommended? Don't want to keep birds away, but don't want food open to elements and other animals! Personally I was thinking more like 9"/220mm

Thanks in advance for any advice that is offered :D

I don't think you're putting the right info into google ;)

The one we had in my parents garden was just a square post with one of the metal spikes you get for fence posts. The proper name currently escapes me but I imagine you know what I mean. I think the free standing ones are a bit unstable but your customer may have a preference.

I think the sizes are a bit random. The one thing you need to consider is cats jumping onto it and the ability to clean the table so you need to leave room for getting in under the roof.

You need to leave gaps at the corners for the water to drain away.

There's some examples of commercial ones here
http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/c/BirdTables.htm

Here is a 'how to' from the RSPB with a plan downloadable
http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/helpingbi ... aking.aspx

Hope that helps

My BT sits a a length of 2x2 about 4ft off the ground with a lower platform for ground feeders about 2ft below it.
Platform and pitched roof from marine ply leaving about a 6" gap.
Edges of platform formed with some 1/2" square lengths leaving gaps for drainage at the corners.
I don't think birds are to fussy - its the food they are after?

Rod

Thanks for the information guys. I'll ask the person who wants the table wether they want a freestanding or one sunk into the ground. If it's a sunk into the ground type, I think I'll just coat the underground part in some Bitumen to protect it, and maybe conside some angled supports for on top of the ground also.

The table is going to sit on either a piece of 44x44mm or 95x95mm green treated softwood -Both size I have readily available. I think the thicker the stronger and sturdier in this case.
The roof will be of a gable design, and will be in the same stuff I recently used for my bird boxes.

Unless the table is in a well protected area the high gusty winds will blow it over.
make mine with a sleeve that goes into the ground for the table to slot into. Thus if said table is in a lawn area it is easy to lift out for mowing. Table height I make about 5ft and from table to roof about 8ins. more than this and you will be feeding pigeons and crows etc.
Willy.

Mines bolted to a length of angle iron driven into the ground keeping the wood just out of the soil.

Rod

I've only ever made two. Both of which were constructed in a hurry, and I wouldn't really want to put my name to them, although they seem to work okay.

The first was made from off cuts of oak.
p1080300z.jpg

The second was constructed from up turned branch from an oak tree, with larch used for the tables.
p1080314g.jpg

Latest posts

Back