Bird Table - my daughter's first project in wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave S

Established Member
Reaction score
End of last year, my wife took our youngest daughter back to Taiwan to see her family. Whilst she was away, I was thinking of something to do with my eldest daughter, Lynn, so I asked her if she fancied making something with wood. And hence this project, a bird table for Mum, came about.

pic1.jpg

Here's Lynn standing proudly next to her handiwork!

pic2.jpg

Timber is mainly softwood from the offcut bin, the roof salvaged from some old cupboard doors. Machine cuts by me, hand cuts by Lynn (until her arm got tired :lol: ). Glueing, assembly and woodstain by both of us. Hole in ground and concrete mixing by me :roll: .

All in all a fun project. Lynn is very creative and into lots of arts and crafts, but this was her first project with wood. I think she did very well. =D>

Dave

Good stuff! It's nice to see youngsters being creative and doing something constructive. Get her to use the machines next time, though, or she might develop a fear of them and shy away from woodwork.

Gill

Well done lynn.Lovely birdtable :D
My yougest daughter likes birdwatching,and we made a nest box last year.I installed a camera,so we could watch them on t.v,and we had Bluetits nest in it.
They laid ten eggs,and all survived,we hope :D
They are visiting again now so perhaps we'll be lucky and see them this year too.
Perhaps that could be your next project,you'll have to be nice to your dad though,and just be careful.WELL DONE.
Paul.J.

Look's great, the quality should certainly be congratulated.
A whole lot better than my first attempts at woodwork when i was younger, which basically consisted of a rudimentary wedge as a door stop :roll: .
Well done :D

Great stuff :D - try and kep the interest going (as children are allowed to do less and less of a practical nature at school :( )

Andrew

Nice job Lynn. Looking better than ours - you could end up getting a commission! :)

Thanks for all the encouraging comments :D . We just have to wait for the birds to take to it now!

Gill, Lynn did use the drill press. The only other machining in the whole project was trimming the plywood base to size, which I did myself on the tablesaw. Everything else was done by hand. I do take your point, though :) .

The main problem in the workshop is that Lynn is 10, and although she's tall for her age, everything in the workshop is at adult height. What I'll need to do is to build a proper raised plinth for her to stand on so that she can gain some height in safety.

Dave

Excellent Lynn, a proper job as they say down here in the SW.

I've been thinking of making one for my garden, Looking at yours I will need to raise the game to match your quality. :)

Lynn - excellent job. Now then, Christmas is only 10 months away now so you really ought to be compiling that list for :-$ ...you know who. First on it....maybe a LN No5. :wink: :D - Rob

What a great job and all that done by someone with no hands :wink:

My son and I did some work together yesterday in the WS and I have to say it was great fun. I wonder, how many other Dads or Mums do woodworking with their kids?

All the best,

Steve

Back