Bird Scarers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradNaylor

Established Member
Reaction score
Our next-door neighbour, an otherwise delightful 90-year old widow, takes immense pleasure in putting food out for birds in her garden. She refills the feeding boxes 5 or 6 times a day.

The inevitable outcome of this of course, is that we now have a resident flock of about 100 feral pigeons who have all but evicted all the nice garden birds from our locality, and spend the time that they are not gorging themselves in our neighbour's garden crapping all over ours.

SWMBO has forbidden me from 'having a word' with her, even though it now impossible for us to hang washing up in our garden without it getting crapped all over. I am also forbidden from getting a petition together locally demanding that the old bag is given an ASBO!

So I'm thinking of getting one of these.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... st-control

I've found the same thing cheaper elsewhere, but this is a good photo.

Thing is, do they work?

BradNaylor":1b05ggrh said:
Thing is, do they work?
Never seen one like that Brad, but the famer next to us has 2 of the bl00dy things out in the fields and they are just the sound of a shotgun going off, at random intervals, from about 08:30 - 19:00.

Scares the rubbish out of me if I forget, but there's never many pests in his crop from what I can see. And when it does go off they soon scarper.

Might end up with the ASBO yourself if you use it in a suburban area though :D

I would just go and have a quiet word without telling SWMBO, and see what Doris says.

Please do.

However, I have a collared dove problem - nice birds but fond of cabbages and peas. I just stuck a few bamboo poles in the ground and cut a plastic shopping bag into strips and tied the strips to each pole. Instant success - but I don't know if feral pigeons will react appropriately although it is the same idea as the spinning bottle on the link above.

Brendan

BradNaylor":2q21puue said:
Our next-door neighbour, an otherwise delightful 90-year old widow, takes immense pleasure in putting food out for birds in her garden. She refills the feeding boxes 5 or 6 times a day.

The inevitable outcome of this of course, is that we now have a resident flock of about 100 feral pigeons who have all but evicted all the nice garden birds from our locality, and spend the time that they are not gorging themselves in our neighbour's garden crapping all over ours.

SWMBO has forbidden me from 'having a word' with her, even though it now impossible for us to hang washing up in our garden without it getting crapped all over. I am also forbidden from getting a petition together locally demanding that the old bag is given an ASBO!

So I'm thinking of getting one of these.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... st-control

I've found the same thing cheaper elsewhere, but this is a good photo.

Thing is, do they work?

They should do Brad. But there's a site that has recordings of all the birds. Just do what I do, and play the mp3, crank up the volume and open the window.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdgui ... index.aspx

John

Latest posts

Back