Birch ply bending radius ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone one able to help me out. I am trying to deduce the minimum bending radius for 4mm and 6mm birch ply, but as I don't have any to hand I can test it.

I have to make some curved panels with a radius of 7-10cm.

If anyone has this info it would be most appreciated.

Thanks

I am making some childrens furniture at the moment.

Am laminating 1.5 mm birch ply, and I got a radius of about 75 mm, alternating the grain pattern, if it was all short grain I am sure I could have gone tighter. depends on how good the formers are.
I think you would be lucky to get that with 4 or 6mm ply.
I am amazed by the 1.5 mm ply, great quality stuff.
Originally I tried 2mm MDF, no chance.
There was another thread last week about this, and someone mentioned a good supply source I think it was totton timber ?

Davin

You will never bend 6mm to that radius and 4 is unlikely. As I've said before 1.5mm skinply is the way to go.

J

Thanks. Trying to do the job without spending a fortune and taking ages. To make curved corners 50mm thick will require 33 layers! That will be expensive as
I need 6 sheets at 30 quid a sheet

As I also said before to get that thickness you are better off with flexi ply which will bend to that rad at 6mm thick. If you want teh birch finish then just use the 1.5mm sheets on the outside.

I'm getting a bit confused with the bed and draw projects, I thought the bed was the thick stuff with a 2ft radius and the draws would be thinner with a tighter radius.

J

jasonB":on8idrka said:
I'm getting a bit confused with the bed and draw projects, I thought the bed was the thick stuff with a 2ft radius and the draws would be thinner with a tighter radius.
J
The bed is the thick stuff, but a 2ft radius might be too big as the matress will be an odd fit so I suspect I will have to reduce it down considerably.

Is flexiply very rigid when laminated or is it more for non structural type applications ?

Sorry if am confusing everyone with my constant questions.

Once you have 3 or more layers of the 6mm flexi ply glued together they will be very rigid so your 7+ layers will be bomb proof.

J

jasonB":3ihr7oa1 said:
Once you have 3 or more layers of the 6mm flexi ply glued together they will be very rigid so your 7+ layers will be bomb proof.

J
Thanks Jason. I promise no more questions.

well at least for tonight :wink:

Latest posts

Back