Big and sticky !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joethedrummer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all woodspinners,,
Sometimes you just have to give it a go and see what happens.
I read up your threads on the subject and took your advice.
So off into the shed and put up a 6inch blank on a face plate to which I hot melt glued a blank of lime 13inches dia; by 3inch thick supported by the tailstock while it cured.
About an hour later, I started the lathe from a distance with a length of dowel and have now done some light cuts and it appears to be a well sound fixing.
I have fiddled about in the past with smaller items and the hot melt glue, , wish I had tried bigger earlier.
I am not using the tailstock for support now I have got going.
All is looking good for a bowl finished with one mounting.
Thank you for your advice.
,,,,,joe,,

I use hot glue for a variety of turning jobs and have seen it used for pretty large pieces in the past. It is pretty amazing stuff. Having said that make sure that you are using a good solid piece of wood on the face plate, MDF can rip as can plywood so solid is the way to go. Always start the lathe slow when you do this as well and it is worth stopping the lathe occasionally and checking the adhesion just to be safe.

Pete

Hi

I love using glue chucks, they're so simple and chucking waste is minimal. I've never had a glue chuck fail, (I usually use MDF - never tried ply), which I put down to ensuring the glue is well up to temperature before use, minimising assembly time of the glue joint, clamping whilst setting and allowing plenty of time for the joint to cool. I also keep the tailstock in contact until I've balanced the work.

From the description above it seems as though you may not have balanced your glue chuck before mounting the work - you really should always ensure a glue chuck is in balance before attaching the work to it.

Hope the project turns out a success

Regards Mick

Joe, how will you do it in one mounting, surely you'll still have to turn it around to do the inside?

Rich

Woodmonkey":le0se70n said:
Joe, how will you do it in one mounting, surely you'll still have to turn it around to do the inside?

Rich

Rich,,,hi,,I planed and stuck the bottom to the block on the faceplate so I am doing inside and the outside all at this fixing,,,hope that makes sense !

and Many thanks Spindle "cos the threads I read before giving it a go are mainly yours !!!!

I did true up the block before fixing the blank and chamfered the front to receive the hot melt as per CHJ"s post but started the lathe "remotely" because I don"t fancy hospital food for Christmas,,,,,mind you it"s not all over yet !!!
,,,,joe,,,

I've not used hot glue yet [to do list] but I will often turn platter type objects just using double sided tape on the bare 6" faceplate. I keep the live centre tightened up at least until the work is fully balanced and usually until I have to shift it when all that's left to turn is the centre nipple.

Which hot glue guns do you all use?
I have a faffy little craft one (eBay special!) which is as much use as a chocolate teapot so I need to get one man enough for the job. Anyone care to share their experiences before I take a punt and waste my dosh?
Cheers all.

bodge":jzcvnjc3 said:
I have a faffy little craft one (eBay special!) which is as much use as a chocolate teapot so I need to get one man enough for the job. Anyone care to share their experiences before I take a punt and waste my dosh?
Cheers all.
I've had a Bosch PKP 18E for some years and have no complaints.

:ho2 I have just turned a 12 inch bowl blank on a glue block it worked fine.
I did not manage to take the glue block off with the hot air gun( think I used too much glue)
so just used the cole jaws and turned the block off.

Hi

To remove work from glue chucks I use a four inch wallpaper stripping knife on which I have ground an edge - works well, leaves minimal clean up and keeps the glue chuck in good order.

Stripping Knife.png

Regards Mick

Attachments

• Stripping Knife.png
    Stripping Knife.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,056
I think removal from glue Chuck is one of those personal things very much dependent upon personal working methods.
Afraid these days I have migrated to the easy and brutal option of treating the mounting wood/spigot/whatever as totally sacrificial and just turn it off or part off and clean turn off the remainder.
Think this comes from basic impatience and various frustrations experienced in the past trying soften or peel off the stuff, which I tend to slap on with a view to making a solid fixing rather than thinking about easy removal.

CHJ":2bgsskuj said:
bodge":2bgsskuj said:
Cheers all.
I've had a Bosch PKP 18E for some years and have no complaints.

Thanks for your input Chas. I've just had a Google and they are as cheap as chips too, so I think I will order one up. :)

Main thing with hot melt is make sure it is HOT MELT, don't be tempted to use just because you can.
For maximum satisfaction the more fluid the better.
When really hot you will have plenty of time to handle and position your piece.

Spindle":3ql3isvi said:
Hi

To remove work from glue chucks I use a four inch wallpaper stripping knife on which I have ground an edge - works well, leaves minimal clean up and keeps the glue chuck in good order.

Regards Mick
Hi Mick,,Great tip about the wallpaper scraper,,I tried it and it worked a treat,,
I"m going to use the sticky mount more often, but we are off to Australia for a bit
so no turning for a while,, will go to popsshed in Melbourne to "talk turning" to
stop the withdrawal symptoms and might just fondle some wood.

Best wishes for this year and thanks for your advce in the past,,,

,,,,,,,,,joe,,,,

Back