***BEWARE SCAM*** 16,000 WOODWORKING PLANS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

In the reception tent at the Harrogate show I picked up a postcard telling me about 16,000+ woodworking plans.

If you search for "Teds Woodworking Plans" you will see that it is a scam. Instead of 16,000+ professionally drawn plans there are about 2,500 that have been "lifted" from web sites and scanned in from magazines.

Be safe,
Neil

Thanks Neil for the warning. What is the actual scam bit apart from numbers of projects? Are they trying to charge for other people's ideas?

Regards Keith

The web links quoted regularly appear in spam postings on UKW with IP sources from various off shore and UK IP's.

It's a scam, I threw my copy straight in the bin, amazed that the Show promotion crowd fell for it and happily included the leaflet in the promotional show guide and catalogue pack.

See http://woodgears.ca/ted/

To All,

Ted has been making the rounds on many of the U.S. sites. Lumberjocks was a big target, he takes the plans put on the site, to help fellow members, and then, includes them on his C.D.'s, as his plans. it is a scam and seems no one can stop him, this is what I have read. Jamey

Hi Keith,

Woodchips2":31qsgnew said:
Thanks Neil for the warning. What is the actual scam bit apart from numbers of projects? Are they trying to charge for other people's ideas?

The proposition is that you will get 16,000+ professionally produced plans, along with full making instructions for each project. From what I have read they have just "lifted" the plans from the "free plans" web sites and scanned others in from magazines. So, yes, they are trying to charge for other people's ideas.

If you want any more details have a look here, it is the same link that Chas gave earlier.

Thanks,
Neil

I'm sure they'd argue they are charging for being aggregators of prior art. Your effectively paying for their google searching.

Fromey":pwdwr6uf said:
I'm sure they'd argue they are charging for being aggregators of prior art. Your effectively paying for their google searching.

You mean by providing poorly scanned copies of plans from a magazine and giving you 1/8th of the "quality" plans that you have paid for?

I suspect that they are also defrauding HMRC, as they are charging VAT on top of their selling prices.

Neil

Newbie_Neil":3w0pmoar said:
Hi Keith,

Woodchips2":3w0pmoar said:

The proposition is that you will get 16,000+ professionally produced plans, along with full making instructions for each project. From what I have read they have just "lifted" the plans from the "free plans" web sites and scanned others in from magazines. So, yes, they are trying to charge for other people's ideas.

If you want any more details have a look here, it is the same link that Chas gave earlier.

Thanks,
Neil
Thanks Neil for explaining. Much appreciated.

Regards Keith

CHJ":188ywmcq said:
The web links quoted regularly appear in spam postings on UKW with IP sources from various off shore and UK IP's.

It's a scam, I threw my copy straight in the bin, amazed that the Show promotion crowd fell for it and happily included the leaflet in the promotional show guide and catalogue pack.

See http://woodgears.ca/ted/
Thanks Chas, I didn't initially click on your link in case my wife told me the postman was staggering down the drive with five bags of mail for us :oops: Sorry #-o

Regards Keith

Back