Best way to transport a Startrite 351

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mission accomplished. 520 miles and 20 hours later and I'm back home now. As I had to wait until after school hours, after driving down very early this morning to miss the traffic, I got to spend the day on a beautiful Welsh beach and take some photographs and then popped around the coast to watch the surfing. All in all a pretty good day and best of all, the sun was shining all day. A wonderful welcome back from Wales, I haven't visited for what must be 30 years.

The 351 is in excellent condition luckily, showing very few signs of use. Since pupils aren't allowed to use them anymore, it got used about once a week, and serviced annually to boot.

Took all sorts with me to help pack it into the car, plus a bunch of tools of course. In the end the timbers and stuff I took were useless so I strapped it to the frame of a dolly/sack truck and padded around it. Using a couple of blocks of timber for chocks on the pneumatic dolly tyres. I then ratchet strapped it down at the base to prevent front/back movement. This isn't ideal as even with the stand removed, there is a protrusion, so in an ideal world you'd raise the height of the top to match and support it all the way down. The hard part was lashing it down so it didn't fly through the front or rear screen during the journey.

For the record, the 351 has a single central bolt to remove the table after taking out two bolts for the fence rail. There are 4 allen bolts holding it to the base and thats about it in terms of breaking it down for transport. I think thats the same as the 352. I'd definitely say that it's better for 3 people to lift it, even broken down, just because it's awkward to balance.

If anyone is looking for a good old lathe (or two) or a pillar drill (or two), drop me a PM and I'll pass on details. It all looked to be in excellent condition and they have a ton of stuff. Oh and they had a table saw too. It's all old kit but serviced annually. Frankly, if I'd had a lorry I'd have taken the lot.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Well done, they're a cracking machine and you'll be set for a long long time with a 351 or a 352, also you're reaping the just rewards for taking on a bit of a challenge rather than playing it safe by ordering a new machine!

And it's good to hear a story with such a happy ending!

custard":3hg31o7a said:
Well done, they're a cracking machine and you'll be set for a long long time with a 351 or a 352, also you're reaping the just rewards for taking on a bit of a challenge rather than playing it safe by ordering a new machine!

And it's good to hear a story with such a happy ending!

Woke up this morning eager to have a bash at setting it up. Wifey took charge of keys and bolts for machine when we collected.

She had very kindly left the keys on the side but I couldn't seem to see the bolts....she's only gone and taken them to work with her and she's 300 miles away today..lol How she managed to think to leave the keys and wonder off with the bolts, I will never know.

:roll:

Latest posts

Back