Best way to fill cracks and strengthen sub standard wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodfarmer

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just cut up an abandoned tree trunk. Originally it was the 3 metre stump from a tree that had been pollarded for many years. However it had been felled, cut into roughly 50cm rings and left in a field on wet grass for some years. The result is that the heartwood is all rotted and only the outer ring of sapwood had any strength. Except for the top known locally as the tete (head). Because the stumps of the branches managed to hold bits of it a little above the ground it was not rotted so bad, In places the wood was sound and some just heavily spalted but whole. The wood is full of splits, voids and soft bits. Nevertheless I would still like to try to rescue a small piece of it. I cut the top into my usual 5 inch slabs for firewood, and one bit stood out as possibly sound enough to turn. But it needs help. Looking up on the web for bigger bottles of ca I find some need or at least recommend the use of an activator. these can't be sent from UK to France. Does anyone know of a source of ca that could do the job without a separate activator?

Thanks in advance

The Toolpost stock a really good wood hardener made by Drechslen, I find it works fine on the likes of spalted beech and the added bonus (which I didn't believe at first) is thet it doesn't discolour the wood. Peter may also have something along the same lines for filling large gaps.

Dave

Latest posts

Back