best power hand planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartypit

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, don't know if anyone has recommended this item before, but can anyone give their opinion as to which power planer (hand held) is the best, most reliable?

Reliability wise -Blue Bosch every time. I've had some of it since i started, oldest piece 15 years (now retired due to expense of replacing all the bits i've knocked off it!) the motors will not die.

On the down side, my Hitachi was much more accurate, but died WAY to soon.

Hopefully they've improved the rigidity of the front (adjustable) sole plate since i got my Bosch.

Woodwizard":3qr3mt89 said:
On the down side, my Hitachi was much more accurate, but died WAY to soon.

The smoke came out of my hitachi planer a little earlier than expected as well, it was a shame because it was nice to use. I'm gonna go for the makita KP0810K next, seems good value for the spec. With regard to the festool mentioned earlier, I share the opinion that money no object they are the best, but having used both their single handed planer and the larger model, I really could not justify the ridiculous cost.

Festool

I have the EHL65 planer and its very light has a few good ideas on it like the spiral blade with no adjustment needed when fitting a new blade and with a dust extractor it is almost dust free.

If your budget doesnt stretch to a Festool then the Bosch and Makita ones look quiet good.

I have had a green Bosch for about 8 years now, nice, easy to set and use and reliable. It does not get much use tho

Maybe the older bosch models but not the new ones, and also the same for makita and dewalt, they are made very cheaply now. I would go for Festool, Mafell or Metabo if you are looking for reliability and quality. But if it is only to be used now and again the others will do a job.

Mafell planer is excellent, it is the ideal machine for heavy duty usage.
I spent days planing old oak beams with one with no problems at all, a really good planer

I've a blue bosch and a metabo, neither of them have ever given me a problem, don't know why but I've always preferred the metabo.
HTH, T

Latest posts

Back