Best Plywood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John. B

Established Member
Reaction score
What is the best quality plywood?
I have an idea for a project but it will require the best quality I can find, (Thick stuff)

John. B

For interior use Birch ply is generally the best. If you need a clean face then AA grade is the best, although most places only stock AB or even BB. For external try marine ply.

If you want exposed edges, then you need to get the very best you can find. Normally between 60-80 a board

From the cover of a certain magazine?

If you don't need the full board I might be willing to go halves with you John.

Tom, I don't understand the magazine bit.
My project is to do with making a Manta Ray from plywood. If it was say 5 or 7 plys it would mean laminating parts of it 3 or 4 times.
At the moment it's in my head not yet on paper.

John. B":30cqod2e said:
Tom, I don't understand the magazine bit.
My project is to do with making a Manta Ray from plywood. If it was say 5 or 7 plys it would mean laminating parts of it 3 or 4 times.
At the moment it's in my head not yet on paper.

:-k :-k :-k Hummm , sounds a bit fishy to me :-k :-k :-k

Be careful asking for "Birch Faced" ply as it may have a different core timber and usually thicker layers. You need "Birch throughout" ply and are only likely to get in in BB/BB or improved faces unless buying a pallet when you may be lucky to find B/BB.

Jason

I was speaking to a professional cabinet maker a few years ago who showed me an excellent chest with ply drawers having exposed edges. They actually looked rather good, and I asked if he laminated it the material himself, and he told me he specified "drawer quality ply" from his supplier.

He might have been pulling my leg, as it was clear I could not afford to buy the piece, but I was impressed with the quality, workmanship, and finish of the whole, and have no doubt it was a "serious" piece of handmade furniture.

Frank

Yes you can get "draw side ply" but this is usually 11-12mm thick, 3 inner cores of 3mm each and two outer 1mm faces, usually a redder coloured ply (Gaboon)

Jason

Thank you gentlemen, That gives me something to work with.
If it starts to become too expensive, I may just abandon it and go back to turning pens.

John. B

Finnish birch ply as in from Finland thats the best quality ply to buy lots of plys and no voids.

can someone explain the different grades of wood, and why AA can't be bought?

Many thanks

Miles

'S improved' Birch Ply from WT Edens is very good, make sure they don't try and fob you off with a cover board

Thank you all for your input.
It has been most helpful. I must admit I didn't realise it was quite so expensive. I may just have a rethink. :-k:-k:-k:-k:-k:-k:-k

Back