Members can turn off viewing Ads!

best finish for plywood box holding chalks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

mickthetree

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all

My misses asked me to make this. I had some suitable nice quality 9mm plywood (plus 6.5mm ply for the base), so whist I was at it I made 8!! Well, once the saw and router table were setup it was just as easy to make 8 as it was to make one (well almost). Rebates at the corners, glued then pinned with some 3mm dowels I made out of some scrap walnut.

We're going to be giving these to friends for their kids and keeping one for our litte boy. The blackboard paint is child friendly. I think the inside and outside should have something on them to make them a bit more durable. Could use a child friendly coloured paint, but could I just use sanding sealer? Couple of coats, knocked back between? Maybe even a quick wax after?? Needs to be kid friendly.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

This is the only one I've actually assembled from all of the parts I've made. Made a few mistakes, but I've learnt them all on this one so the rest should be fine now.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
I know it's not often mentioned or recommended nowadays, but I'd use polyurethane on those. The modern water based ones are quite nice and can be had in a satin finish which would not need much further work, if any.