Benchdogs Parallel Guides - I can't see the wood.......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braddersmd

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
.......for the trees.

Ordered a set of these a while ago, and they arrived today. Four extrusions in total (2 x 19-1190, 2 x 19-545), two rail mounts, and two stops.

I can see perfectly how to use both rails in the conventional way, but the short rails also have, on the underside, a notification of narrow cut guides, and start from 0-235mm, with a bit of spare. I cannot fathom how to use them in narrow cut mode with the supplied rail connectors and stops.

If the rail mount could be mounted underside, I can see how it may line up, but it won't mount that way.

Anyone else ordered this set, and can put me out of my misery, I will be eternally grateful.

AAA63C1E-BF5E-4FF0-A430-5EDCEEB211EC.jpeg

Benchdogs have a manual for their parallel stops,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F_0IOZy81vYWvfmfsQsVHdu5bbf5SZKz/view
but it doesn't show how you might rip anything less wide than the rail itself.

I'm interested in this as I use a few Benchdogs products and have generally found them to be well made and well designed.

I use the Festool parallel stops and they have a separate component for narrow ripping, that's an excellent product and even though I have a panel saw I'll generally prefer to use the Festool parallel guides, with their extensions, for ripping the 2-6mm thick strips needed for lamination work. But if Benchdogs can bring something extra to the party then I'd be open to switching.

Incidentally, couple of tips for squeezing that extra bit of accuracy out of parallel guides,

1. When calibrating only use a ruler to set one of the guides, set and calibrate the second by butting it up next to the first guide and align the two stops. That way you're guaranteed that the cut component will indeed be parallel.

2. When setting one of the guides instead of measuring by eye with the scale, hold a small square against the distance you want on the scale and set the stop against that, you gain a fraction more precision and consistency doing it that way.

Thanks for the answers, and tips - much appreciated.

Product is very much at the usual high end of the spectrum for Benchdogs stuff. Have quite a bit of their gear already myself, and waiting on the Rail Square to arrive when production allows also.

The rail mounts seem very precise, and fasten securely, and the stops are snug without any lateral play at all. The scale is very similar to the one on the v2 fence I already owned. The thumb screws are different from the manual on the website, and as you say, there is no mention of the other side of the short rails.

Time to send them an email - thought I'd check here as I assumed someone else would've bought them - I am still convinced I am missing something very obvious though.

ETA - interestingly, the shorter rails dual sided rails are not mentioned on the product spec on the website either.

I think the Narrow Cut Guides are an add-on to the Parallel Cut Guides, on Instagram, Ralph has posted

PRODUCT UPDATE. Having a light bulb 💡 moment with our parallel guides, so decided to sit in the workshop to test this out. Narrow cut guides attachment which attach to the Parallel Guides under the rail allowing repeatable narrow cuts. For materials 9mm and above. Going to be working on the finer details over the next few days

Along with this picture
NCG.jpg

I think the Narrow Cut Guides are an add-on to the Parallel Cut Guides, on Instagram, Ralph has posted

PRODUCT UPDATE. Having a light bulb 💡 moment with our parallel guides, so decided to sit in the workshop to test this out. Narrow cut guides attachment which attach to the Parallel Guides under the rail allowing repeatable narrow cuts. For materials 9mm and above. Going to be working on the finer details over the next few days

Along with this picture
View attachment 99777

Brilliant. That works a treat. Thanks for that - my mind is now at rest. Seems to line up perfectly for narrow cuts. Fantastic stuff.

May I say - this is a cracking product.

Attachments

• 5E752B2D-CC27-40E6-9D18-003483FBBFF2.jpeg
    5E752B2D-CC27-40E6-9D18-003483FBBFF2.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 59
I think Benchdogs and FC Tools have been knocking heads together on a new narrow rip jig for rails. FC Tools certainly posted a few photos of what they were prototyping and they were different from those pictured above.

Back