Bench vices - what to get?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
norman king had a second hand record for sale (20 quid i think) - i dont know whether he stilll has it but you could drop him a pm

Hi,

I have a Record 52E quick release vice which I bought around 40 years ago and it still works well and despite being kept in less than ideal conditions is in very good nick. The general view is that these are better than the recent clones.

52Es come up almost daily on e-bay under "bench vices" and sell for between £10 to 25 and I got a second one recently for £10. Generally prices are lower mid week! Because they come up fairly often, local pick-up is sometimes possible and if not courier costs are another £10.

Some versions have a removable dog mounted on the top surface of the moving portion of the vice (Record 52ED?)

Richard

Jed, I know it,s not on your door step but Leeside tools (Yapton, Sussex) have them (record) ones quite often. They are on the net. If you look under handtools there shown on the second page.

You can have the right hand one of these for £16 + post if you want

P1010013.jpg

Allways amazes me how people will recommend some rusty rubbish on the basis historical percieved quality.

That Rutlands vice for £40 considering all the parts are there and working looks like a good bargain to me.

except that the build quality on the "rusty rubbish" will be about a 1000% better than the chinese derived dakota rubbish

also its from rutlands, home of shocking customer service

I got a second hand one from Pennyfarthing tools in salisbury, and although a little bit of rust it has been excellent, so I too recommend the "funny shaped fruit" as opposed to the "perfectly formed fruit"...

:lol:

Well worth a trip to this shop, for this and many other great second hand tools!

johnf":yljgqlih said:
You can have the right hand one of these for £16 + post if you want

P1010013.jpg

john - how much would post be on one of those ( to SN4) - might be interested if jed isnt

Hi BSM i will check the weight tomorrow and possible posting charge and let you know
I cleaned them up a bit since the pic got rid of most of the rust they look good now

Jed,

There are several quick release record 52Es on e-bay currently including one coming up on Tuesday which is currently at £3.30 which looks in good condition and you should not need to pay more than £25. It is collect only but postage should be under £10. There are at least four others under the search "record vice quick". There is little that can go wrong with these and they are very sturdily built

Richard

warrenr":2mqpaxum said:
Jed,

There are several quick release record 52Es on e-bay currently including one coming up on Tuesday which is currently at £3.30 which looks in good condition and you should not need to pay more than £25. It is collect only but postage should be under £10. There are at least four others under the search "record vice quick". There is little that can go wrong with these and they are very sturdily built

Richard

Disagree. Since most vices spend most of their time on workpieces in a small-and-narrow range (say 0"-1") all of the wear and load is concentrated on a small part of the screw.

This can wear, leading to the dreaded "skip".

I've seen large (you'd have thought indestructible) engineering vices with this issue.

Plain screw vises, yes, probably last forever, but not Q/R. They can be worn out.

BugBear

I bought a couple of 52Es last night off the bay. One 7" for £8.10 and the other 13" for £10.50. At that price cant complain.

Latest posts

Back