Bench saw jig question.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shedhead

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at Youtube and reading a few books on jigs for Table saws. I have made a "Cross cut sled" , but I wondered if I have to remove the splitter. I have read that this should always be in place to help prevent "Kickback". Why I ask this question is because most of all the Youtube video's and the books show the sled being used with the Splitter removed.???? :eek:

NEVER! By splitter I presume you mean the riving knife behind the blade? If so then this should never be removed. It is there for a purpose and that purpose is to stop the wood pinching the blade at the back where it would cause the saw to kick back. I occasionally remove the crown guard on my saw for certain jobs but would never dream of removing the riving knife. You must have seen one of the US videos on you tube as they often use a table saw without the riving knife! :shock: Definitely not recommended.

I must admit though, the americans are coming round to the european way of thinking.

The newer american videos i have been watching show more woodworkers starting to use the riving knife which is good to see.

mailee":1mgasl2o said:
NEVER! By splitter I presume you mean the riving knife behind the blade? If so then this should never be removed. It is there for a purpose and that purpose is to stop the wood pinching the blade at the back where it would cause the saw to kick back. I occasionally remove the crown guard on my saw for certain jobs but would never dream of removing the riving knife. You must have seen one of the US videos on you tube as they often use a table saw without the riving knife! :shock: Definitely not recommended.

Therein lies the disadvantage of my Coronet Saw attachment Mailee.
My riving knife extends right over the saw-blade, and has a slot in it, which attaches the crown guard. So to use the 'wobble-saw' or to make any cut that needs the blade uncovered, I have to remove the knife and the guard together. One day I might get some sheet steel and cut myself a shorter riving knife to put behind the blade when using it 'unguarded'. Until then I use the router!

Regards John
:)

Hi Shedhead.

The riving knife stays on :)

If your knife is higher than the blade, it will be difficult to use the cross cut sled as the knife will foul the back of the sled.

On mine the knife is level with the blade and for added protection I've fitted perspex over the blade area (I got this from a sign making workshop - lots of stuff in the offcut bin).

IMG_1822.JPG

You will need to show a picture of yours though - if there is no picture it doesn't exist :lol:

Sean

Back