Bench grinder selection & dressing tool use

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrahamRounce

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi - I bought the 14.98 grinder from B&Q but the base was crooked. Took it back & the next one looked at was crooked too, so got refund. Bought 16.98 Titan from Screwfix. It vibrated off the bench, nearly, so that's going back too. Finally (I hope) I got the 6" Record Power one. Tried it in the shop. Didn't vibrate much, but the coarse wheel spun a little unevenly to the touch. Tried another, both wheels felt uneven. Took the first one.

Also got THIS dressing tool ("C" here: http://www.faithfulltools.com/pdfs/070-Faithfull-08.pdf ). I've searched the internet looking for instructions on how to use it, and apart from this chap http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rlk9OEs1kk who blithely does what people here have called definite no-no's, ie dressing the side of the wheel, and fingering it, and anyway he uses a different tool, I can't find anything. I don't even know which way to hold the thing. Anyone know of a link please? Or could spare a few lines of education?
Thanks again,
Graham

That type of stone dresser is not really suitable for a 6 inch wheel, plus they wear out.
A diamond dresser is much better, but basically you simply press the dresser against the wheel and keep doing so till the wheel is in balance.
As fitted wheels usually are in need of balancing, equally it is sometimes necessary to dress the side to obtain balance, but I would not attempt that with the type of dresser in your pic.
By the way, in my youth it was a 'Buff Dirler!' Don't ask me why!

Roy.

"That type of stone dresser is not really suitable for a 6 inch wheel, plus they wear out."

Great! (Sigh) Shall I return it then? (DM don't seem to do any other kind.)

Would you mind looking at these: http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... e=1&jump=0 & telling me if, say, 410060 would be ok? It looks like it's pointed - you just have to use judgement to make the edge flat? (It surprises me that it's cheaper than what I got!)
Thank-you,
G

I've got Ax's offering Graham and it works very well. The 'cutter' is a diamond, as used in industry, it will last for ever and cuts the wheel without significant pressure.
You get the grit thrown at you though so eye protection is a good idea.

Roy.

Yeah it is.
Try a local supplier, I would think that most tool suppliers would stock them.

Roy.

I have a diamond dressing tool for my bench grinder, but it's got a square edge instead of a point. Can't for the life of me remember where I got it, but it's much easier to control than the single point type and much quicker to use.

Hope I'm not too late . . . but I use this one, it's also from Axminster ===> Dresser
It makes sure that you get a flat surface on your stone. The pointed one is not so easy to use I don't think.

David

You guide the pointed ones with your forefinger along the front of the tool rest.

Roy.

IMO
The best way to tru up a grinding wheel is to use a single point diamond wheel dressing tool.
If you purchase an adjustable angle support that fits in front of the wheel, the ones that have a channel in them that takes a sliding grinding jig.
You can place the dressing tool against the jig, set at 90 deg and slowly work longitudinally backwards and forwards, along the face of the grinding wheel.
This ensures that the face you are grinding is set to the angle of the grinding jig, which should be 90 deg.
When you come to grind a, chisel for instance, the cutting edge will be at 90 deg to the chisel, after setting the correct angle first.
Again, IMO, to grind a chisel an aluminium oxide wheel, the white ones give excellent results, making sure you keep the chisel cool, by quenching in water now and then while carring out this operation.
A 2 inch aluminium oxide wheel gives you a wide surface and alows you to grind most of your chisels without falling off the end of the grinding wheel, which tends to happen on narrower wheels.
It takes some time to set up, but it is time well spent.
I also made some gauges to ensure the jig was set at the correct angle for my chisels...and I got that info from guys on this forum.
I hope what I have written makes sence?

ATB
Mike

Latest posts

Back