Bench drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinimod

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to have a Fobco Star drill from the old man, but the only problem is that it is the floor mounted one. :roll: :roll:
I don't have the floor space for it in the shed and as it weighs a ton not too happy about putting on the timber floor. So was wondering if anyone has any idea where I could get hold of the shorter column and the bench base so that it could on the bench??

Or does anyone know of a modern bench drill that uses the same sized column as the Star so I could shorten mine and fit into newer base. :?: :?: :?:

Any ideas would be appreciated................dom

Whats wrong with just using the current base and a shorter column or if you really have to, cut the column?

On the floor mounted base the collar/upstanding is about 16" tall and the base looks a lot heavier than the bench top one ( to counter balance the height I reckon).
I was wondering if there was lighter base that would fit the existing column if I shortened it and bolted the base to the bench............dom

t8hants":cqaa3ya8 said:
Are you able to sell it and get a bench mounted version?

It might end up that way as a last result but don't really want the hassle of selling and buying one at the moment......dom

Shame you're not closer to me. I have a bench mounted Star and could do with it being floor standing. Often wondered whether I could replace the column to achieve the same thing. I'd have swapped with you but you're miles away!

You beat me to it, Memzey :) Was just mentally working out where a floorstanding Star would fit in my workshop. But then, where would the cupboard on which the bench mounted one go................ hmmmmmmm........... not a goer after all!

memzey":1wfk0yx1 said:
Shame you're not closer to me. I have a bench mounted Star and could do with it being floor standing. Often wondered whether I could replace the column to achieve the same thing. I'd have swapped with you but you're miles away!
PM inbound............dom

All sorted now. Thanks to Memsey for the swap and nice to meet another forum member.........Dom.

Thanks Memsey, and not only did I have to go into Swindon shoe shopping but also had to endure IKEA on the way home. Oh joy, oh bliss :evil: :evil: :evil:

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    245.1 KB · Views: 90
My condolences on your shopping trip mate! Nice to meet you and the family too. Glad the bits worked for you. I'll pop some pictures up of mine once I've restored it.

Back