bench dog hole collars.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markturner

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys ( and girls)...I have seen them on fancy benches, mostly made by talented guys with a lathe and nice materials to hand, but I cant seem to find anything for sale. Basically, I want some nice metal or whatever collars to sit the bench dogs in, rather than just a bare hole in the wood. Does anyone know where I can buy such things?

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick replies fellas, but sadly, "bench dogs" search on intelligent workshop only turned up some festool versions and some threaded ones, not what I was looking for in the second reply either. I have a picture here of what I had in mind ( although he made these...)

I presume they prevent wear to the wood, which is fair enough in a soft pine, but in beech or suchlike I'd think they would not be needed. My bench top is beech and the dog holes don't go out of shape. Even if they did a little ovalness would not effect the way they work.

Unless removable they would prevent periodic planing of the worktop to keep it flat, assuming a timber rather than made made board top to the bench ?

Cheers, Paul

thats a good idea theyd be ideal for me as my bench is mdf, i might knock a few up to put on ebay too lol

phil.p":2s4tfutu said:
paulm":2s4tfutu said:
Unless removable they would prevent periodic planing of the worktop to keep it flat, assuming a timber rather than made made board top to the bench ?

Cheers, Paul
[-X Wash your mouth out with soapy water! Flattening things, indeed!

Didn't say I did it myself :lol:

Cheers, Paul

Dangermouse":419l7bap said:
I presume they prevent wear to the wood, which is fair enough in a soft pine, but in beech or suchlike I'd think they would not be needed. My bench top is beech and the dog holes don't go out of shape. Even if they did a little ovalness would not effect the way they work.

My bench is pine and my holdfasts (of the Richard T flavour) have indeed deformed the dog holes. Not a problem for the holdfasts, but my sprung bench dogs won't support themselves in the holes anymore.

Back