Beds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatesmr2

Established Member
Reaction score
Hiya

Think i'm in the right section

Ok i'm looking at making a bed but have one problem i'm trying to get my head round. All the beds i have bought seem to make a noise when ermmm moved on shall we say :wink:
So i'm trying to work out how to fit it together so it will be quite if that makes sense without going into to much detail.
My friend who is an engineer has suggested a thick angel bracket with a large bolt screwing into said bracket say about an inch in diameter placed on the inside as i also don't want any fixing showing. I quite like this idea and he will make up the brackets for me as well but wondered if there is another way of doing this which might be better.
I want to be able to take it apart if needed but also need it to be solid and not creek etc.
Looking at making it out of 6X6 for the four posts and 3X6 or 2X6 for the sides, Not sure about the headboard and footboard (if thats the name for it). I quite like the idea of rails but again how much movement will there be in them over time, so might go for solid instead.
Also is mortice and tenon the best way to go for the joints for the head and foot board, maybe even wedge them as well to make sure they are really tight.
Swmbo wants a nice chunky design which i quite like as well.
Any ideas on how to do this in a practical way.
Hope this makes sense

Thanks for any advice

Martin

hi!

i'm not sure about the noise side of your project, i guess using chunky heavy timber might help!

as for making it dismantleable you could use through wedged mortise and tenon joints!

good luck!

David

Sometimes it's the mattress that's noisy, not the bed frame.

You could always try sleeping in bed and getting up to those other activities elsewhere?! :D

That's certainly chunky!

Years ago I purchased a fairly expensive pine bed which used angle brackets to attach side rails to the posts. The brackets were inset screwed to the side rails and attached to the posts using dowel screws and round headed nuts.

I have since made 3 beds this way - one was a double which I no longer have, and both my daughters beds. The girls' beds have been used as trampolines etc, and the double was .. ehem.. out to the test and none of them have had a problem with creaking.

I'm surprised, given the effectiveness of the method, that I haven't seem anyone else mention it. It seems that most weither joint the rails to the post in some way, or else use the knock down fittings which are available from places such as Woodfit and Isaac Lord.

Dave

Chunky timber and bed-bolts would give you a quick knock-down joint that you can keep tight and prevent any squeking noises when you are using the bed vigerously.

Using a deeper side rail, or perhaps better still a double side rail, might make the structure more rigid. You could still use the same connection methods I would imagine.

Dod

Im sure what we used before were called bed lock fittings, These are very sturdy when bolted up, Not keen on the quick push down and clip in ones.

Cant find any on the web, Maybe Fixfirm, Dont think theyre online though.

I have used these bed bolts from Axminster, which I found to be very good;

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... e=1&jump=0

As a point of note, I used them on a bed I made originally with angle brackets and dowels attaching the sides to the posts, but found these became loose over time with (ahem) movement.

I'll post a picture of the bed with them installed when its light enought to take a picture tomorrow.

Cheers, Ed

After making many pine beds over the years I can say that without doubt the best fitting system is this one;

Lunabedbolts.jpg

maxi_luna_bed_assembly_s.jpg

3 of my 4 children were conceived on a bed constructed in this way - silently! :wink:

I buy them here - phone and ask for Paul.

http://www.adfixfittings.com/epages/es1 ... Bed%205%22

Cheers
Dan

Does it have to be Paul? or is he just understanding of the predicament!

My four poster bed is rustic far eastern style made from reclaimed teak. 6*6 legs, 12*2 sides and ends and 4*2 joining the four posts at the top. It just doesn't move ever.

Sorry have not got back for a few days but work etc seems to be getting the way of everything

Thanks a lot for the advice

Glad to know its not just me who has had this ermmm problem lol
Tierney would be good to see a pic of your bed if poss for swmbo, i know its a chunky design was not going to mention it but she (we) saw the Salvager making one :oops: and she loved the idea and look of it.
Will give Paul a call as they seem to be just what i'm after Dan.

Thanks again guys for your help

Martin

Latest posts

Back