Bedding Plane Irons

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J_SAMa

Established Member
Reaction score
For my last plane build, I used a permanent marker when flattening/fitting the bed to the iron. It was okay but really hard to clean off without removing any wood, which I didn't want to as it would obviously change the shape of the bed. I also tried pencil but the iron wouldn't take it at all.
So before I start my next build, what should I use when bedding the iron? Please suggest something that's easy to find as I don't want to go looking for engineer's just for this.
Sam

J_SAMa":1uivxphz said:
For my last plane build, I used a permanent marker when flattening/fitting the bed to the iron. It was okay but really hard to clean off without removing any wood, which I didn't want to as it would obviously change the shape of the bed. I also tried pencil but the iron wouldn't take it at all.
So before I start my next build, what should I use when bedding the iron? Please suggest something that's easy to find as I don't want to go looking for engineer's just for this.
Sam

Make like a gunsmith - use smoke.

BugBear

Soot. Use a candle and hold a wire mesh tea strainer above the flame, below the iron.

Quick, cheap and traditional, but do clear away the wood shavings first! ;-)

I have experimented with most of the marking mediums mentioned. For me ,using coloured chalk sticks is the simplest and most effective approach to use. Handy hint. Apply masking tape to the flat surface of the iron 1st (this will help the chalk to adhere).

Stewie;

I have to admit I haven't used any marking on the planes I've made so far. I find checking by eye and using the iron for the final paring of the bed good enough, for the iron to be held by the wedge. The only thing is if the bed is not perfectly flat, that might affect the iron adjustment because tapping the iron might not move it consistently.

swagman":30b79voi said:
I have experimented with most of the marking mediums mentioned. For me ,using coloured chalk sticks is the simplest and most effective approach to use. Handy hint. Apply masking tape to the flat surface of the iron 1st (this will help the chalk to adhere).

Stewie;

Never heard the tape idea, very nice.

BugBear

I just bedded an iron to an old jack plane, using chalk.

Worked very well. The chalk might have been adhereing nicely to the rust!

David C

Over on sawmillcreek I read that David Weaver who is making some traditional planes at the moment, is using oil. That seems to leave enough imprint on beech.

Corneel":1yrhgug3 said:
Over on sawmillcreek I read that David Weaver who is making some traditional planes at the moment, is using oil. That seems to leave enough imprint on beech.

Yikes! Ultimately, the blade needs to NOT SLIP on the bed, so I would be loathe to put oil there.

BugBear

Corneel":1yhgf9ig said:
Would you mind posting a link? Still trying to learn browsing multi-level threads over there...
Sam

J_SAMa":3knsnysz said:
Corneel":3knsnysz said:
Would you mind posting a link? Still trying to learn browsing multi-level threads over there...
Sam

Lots of chit-chat in these threads, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty of traditional planemaking, these two threads are exemplary.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?218832-Cocobolo-Smoother-Build-2/page3&highlight=cocobolo

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?4-Neanderthal-Haven

I wouldn't worry too much about the oil making the bed slippery. It's exactly the oiled spots that are being scraped away.

Latest posts

Back