Bedan Practice........More vids added

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stu in Tokyo

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I've been slowly getting the hang of the Bedan, I first saw this tool used by Jean-Francois Escoulen when he visited Japan in 2006, and again when he was here this fall. WAY cool tool to see in action, but not an easy one to get a handle on. If you think a skew is nasty and evil, this tool can make the skew look like a pussy cat cat in comparison.

I like a challenge, and Jean-Francois told me to practice 10 mintues every day, and I will improve (glad he has faith in me!). I've been doing 10 to 15 minutes ever time I get into the Dungeon to turn, I use making a couple of eggs as my "Warm up" kind of like a musician playing the scales.

I've uploaded two videos to YouTube, the first one is not the best quality, taken from my old Sony still camera, that does video, the second one is better (the video part, my turning still need work) so I hope will take a look see. If you have not seen this amazing tool in action, I hope you can see someone use it in the flesh, it is really neat, and boy does it got through the lumber in a hurry.

Bedan Practice #1 <-YouTube Link

Bedan Practice #2 <-YouTube Link

Hi,STU I got the two Videos on Utube, that tool surly gets to the bottom of wood very quickly. I take it that it is easier to sharpen than some other tools like skews. I'm only new to turning but am reading up and watching everything I can find on the subject.
I'm making good progess on the lathe as well "I think". I have noticed that some turners I've seen "on video"I might add seem to be useing the metal cutting tools set in handles of all discripitions. I suppose if a body is turning all the time he can see other tools which he would do the job and maybe not cost as much. Please dont take this as an insult but you strike me as someone who would prefer to make or expereiment along these lines. If I'm wrong forgive me ,if I'm right please keep us posted.
There are probley hundreds out there who have made tools which they find fit the job better than they can buy. Meanwhile I'll try to fit the ones I've bought to make something usful before thire worn out practiseing. Safe turning to all . Boysie Slan Leat

Hello there stu
I really enjoyed the videos, that tool looks like a beast. I am still trying to master the bowl gouge so one step at a time for me. Very intersting though I had never heard it before, keep those eggs coming.
Rich

Yep, the Bedan is not for the faint of heart, but it does work well.

I make some tools myself, and I also adapt store bought tools to do the job better for me.

One step at a time is a good way to do things, just keep moving forward! :D

Hi Stu, thanks for the vids. It just proves something I've always said, all these different tools work great in the hands of a expert. Yet I think that most newcomers to the hobby need to just stick with the conventional tools until they gain a lot more experience.

It also saves you having the small rack of never use tools sitting on the wall of your workshop. I've got three or four that was going to make me a great turner, and I just couldn't get to grips with them, so they sit there as a reminder, NEVER AGAIN! :roll:

I'm afraid it does nothing for me,apart from making me whince when i think of all the endless amounts of dig ins i'd get.
I think i will just keep on learning with the tools i've got :D for now.
Paul.J.

STU

I told Jean François about your dayly practice and he smiled. You know him well and he does have faith.
He told me to send you his regards.
I turn again with him in January, exploring.... the third chuck possibilities

For those who do not know Escoulen...
He started turning when he was twelve. His father, a woodturner doing tons of table legs and bed posts one day called him, gave him a bedan and asked him to turn a huge pile of bed feet... that was his task for months... He sure does know how to use a bedan tool that you can find on an old French encyclopaedia dated around 17 something. :wink: :)

Latest posts

Back