Bed slide extensions as per DIY SOS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I happened to spy on the repeat show of DIY SOS a rather interesting bed that went under a "pseudo" performance platform in a teenager's room.

The key thing is the bed slides out sideways on some v. heavy-duty slides (one on each end of the bed) of approx 1m. They seemed pretty decent.

Anyone know where these can be purchased?

thx

Hi

I have a single bed that slides under another bit of funiture. It's just on wheels and it works fine. The weight of the bed keeps it straight when you push/pull it. But wheels, not casters, which would skate off in all directions and be diffucult to put back quickly.

Hope this helps

Mark

The items are cantilevered slides (similar to draw slides) but not loaded sideways but loaded directly on top (if you get the idea)

Similar schemes I have seen have the load taken by castors and the slides act primarily as guides. There is still scope for jamming if the extension is not slid out evenly. Only some sort of scissor mechanism will reduce this problem.

Most guide suppliers only go up to 700mm/28" but there is nothing I can see to stop you bolting two full extension slides together to double the effective length. The thickness will double but still only needing an inch at each end of the bed.

Buller seem to be a favoured supplier used by other forum members but watch out for ascending postage charges for larger orders whereas most suppliers waive their charges as the order value increases.

Back