Bearing Replacment in Fobco Bench Drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am in the process of slowly putting back together a fobco star bench drill.

Spent the afternoon search the internet for new bearings. The pully shaft bearings were easy to find being marked up as EE8 and appear to be 0.875"x1.8750"x0.3750" R14.

The spindle angular contact bearings were marked up as LJT15 which according to the specs are 15" internal diameter!

A bit of measuring later and I have the following data: 0.588" ID 1.378" OD and 0.432" W. Nothing like it in the imperial bearing tables I can find.

Go back to where I am comfortable (metric) and remeasure - this looks like 14.94mm ID 34.98mm OD and 10.97mm Width. Looks pretty damn close to a 7202B at 15mm x 35mm x 11mm.

I am barking up the right tree as I have never attempted anything like this before?

Is it common to mix metric and imperial bearings in the same machine?

Cheers

Ed

Quite unusual to find mixed bearings on a commercial machine IMHO

Not sure how accurate your measurements for the A/C bearing were but I'd expect the dimension to be much closer to integral numbers of mm than your figures.
That said they're nowhere near imperialdimension in my bearing books.

Incidentally I use these people for bearings - an excellent service and lowprices too. http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/ no commercial connection other than as a satisifed customer.

Good Luck

Bob

Hello mate :D Theres a bearing thingy shop near me that does all sizes .
Maybe a good excuse for a workshop visit :-$

Hi, Ed

Let us know haw you get on, I have a Fobco so I am verey interested in how you get on.

Pete

Bob,
Thanks for the link to http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/. That was where I had been looking.

I found the EE8 / R14 / KLNJ 7/8 there, but no 7202B. I have dropped them an email.

Popped into a bearing shop I happend to be passing (not local) and they were equally confused by the LJT15 markings, but agreed it was a 7202B. They had neither in stock as a reasonable price but could probably hunt around and get one in a better price. As I was not likely to be back in that area I didn't go for it. ( The KLNJs they had in stock were £20+ each)

Pete - I'll keep you posted on progress. Hope that spindle is straight after all this!

Anyone with a metal work lathe close to Addlestone who could mount it up between spindles and check it for runout? :)

Cheers

Ed

Hi Ed,

Have another look on the website Ed. scroll right on the bearing page and you will find Angular contact bearings. The 7202b is there at £6.75 for a pair.

HTH

Bob

Quick update for Racers:

Finally got around to putting it back together and found I had ordered the wrong bearings - R14ZZ instead of R14 - the extra sheilds increase the width of the bearing to 0.5" instead of 0.375"

Just need to reduce the bearing spacer in length so the new shielded bearings will fit. ie - project back on the shelf for a few more weeks....

I have an sectional diagram somewhere and I'll pm you a scan when I can find it :roll:

Cheers

Ed

I don't suppose they are still there, but I got new bearings for my Fobco in 1994 from the original makers, O'Brian Manufacturing, in Swadlincote. Their phone number then was 0283 217588. I guess it's just possible there is still someone there who could give the exact bearing reference?
The guy who went to the stores to get the bearings for me was a Mr F. O'Brian, who was presumably the original FOB of Fobco!

Cheers DickM,

I didn't expect them to still be around. Did a search and turned up these details.

Address
Unit 25 George Holmes Way
Swadlincote
Derbyshire
DE11 9DF
United Kingdom

Telephone, fax and web
Tel: (01283) 217588
Fax: (01283) 215613

Listed products: Vertical Drilling Machines and CONCRETE MIXERS!

Back