Battery powered filter and fan for soldering and machinery fumes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sploo

Somewhat extinguished member
Reaction score
My garage workshop has the advantage of being well insulated (and having no windows), but that's a problem in the winter when I want to do some soldering, or use the mill or the lathe (smoke/fumes from cutting). I knocked up a pair of battery powered units that provide a fan to blow smoke away from me, and a filter unit to hopefully capture some of the fumes.

I 3D printed a box...

01.jpg

Then soldered up a 9V rechargeable battery to a switch, and then a boost converter...

02.jpg

Parts fit in the box as follows....

03.jpg

Then with an input jack added...

04.jpg

A hole in the box allows access to the USB port on the battery that allows it to be recharged...

05.jpg

And another hole allows access to the boost converter potentiometer. For the moment it's set to boost the 9V battery to a 12V output; but that could be lowered to reduce the fan speed...

06.jpg

A 3D printed lid is added...

07.jpg

Then a fan shroud; modified from the original design by MajorHardware at Noctua NH-AAS by MajorHardware ...

08.jpg

09.jpg

I designed a hood for the fume filter side...

10.jpg

Next I glued on four tabs to hold the filter in place...

11.jpg

And the units are finished...

12.jpg

13.jpg

Both units have magnets glued to the bottom, so sit securely on machinery. As they're battery powered there's only the short cable between the box and fan, so little risk of cables getting caught in machinery...

14.jpg

The photos make the 3D printed parts look really rough. I was pushing the flow rate on my little printer so they're not the best, though they don't look anywhere near as bad in reality.

Boosting a 9V battery up to 12V for the fan does cause quite a high current draw, but so far the batteries seem to be coping (not getting hot).

Thanks. They might even work! (not as well as I'd hoped - at least, in terms of filtering the fumes, but it's better than nothing)

Back