Bathroom woodwork

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrahamB

Established Member
Reaction score
Been trying to finish off my bathroom for sometime now and finally getting to make some oak cabinets for the basin to sit on etc.

Bought the kiln dried oak some months ago and it's been stickered and stacked in the sitting room prior to planing this weekend. (2.4m boards, 25 - 30cm width, 1 and 2 inch thick)

Original plan had been to cut the boards to roughly the required sizes and then cut into strips, flip over alternate strips and glue back together with biscuits to give them more stability in the damp bathroom environment.

Now that I've planned them I can see some great grain patterns and am loath to destroy this by cutting them up. So my question is, do I really need to or will they be stable enough?

The furniture will be made with 18mm panels and 32mm tops. The cabinet for the basin will be approx W80cm D50cm H100cm and I am thinking of finishing with Sadolin floor varnish as I've got some left over and thought it would give good protection (unless anyone has a better sugestion!).

Thanks in advance for any advice

Graham

250-300mm is a bit wider than I would be happy with. I've done vanities with 100mm wide boards and not had problems.

I also finish with a water bourne floor lacquer.

Jason

Latest posts

Back