Bathroom shelving advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toonarmy1987

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

This is my first post but have been lurking around for 6 months or so. I have recently been re-bitten by the woodworking bug and decided I needed to sign up to the forum not only to solicit advice but to also give back to the community any way I can in the future.

I have a challenge at the moment in that I need to work out what wood I should use to make my shelving unit in my bathroom. I have just renovated the whole bathroom and the shelving unit will sit inside a false wall and will be roughly 1.6m high. I was originally going to simply use high quality ply but then changed my mind to using lower grade marine ply with a bamboo veneer. Unfortunately the bamboo is proving difficult to source so I am leaning away from this approach as well.

I have steered clear of other woods, mainly because I am unsure if they would be suitable in an often moist, humid environment. Am I being silly here? are there finishes I can apply to other woods that would make the shelves more "bathroom proof"?

I want to have the shelves retain the natural look of timber and be light in tone but beyond that I am open to suggestions.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Back