Bathroom lighting question (electrical)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave S

Established Member
Reaction score
Our ensuite currently has a cheap shaver light which is on a direct spur from the lighting circuit.

I would like to replace this with some low voltage downlights built into a cabinet I am going to make, something along these lines:

high-gloss-white-bathroom-cabinet.jpg

The lights would probably be switched via a ceiling pull switch.

I have two questions,

1. The lights would be outside zone 3, but all the lights I can find are either 'not suitable for use in a bathroom', or else are only for mounting in non-flammable material. Any pointers?

2. If I run the lights off the same spur as is currently used, am I correct in thinking a FSU must be placed on the spur to comply with current regs? If so, can the FSU be located in the attic? I understand it cannot be located in the bathroom.

By the way, I am aware that this is notifyable under Part P.

Any help much appreciated.

Dave

Dave

You're working on out-of-date info. No such thing as Zone 3 now. You can have normal electrical sockets and such providing they are outside Zone 2.

Re lights not being suitable...I think it is more a question of possible water-ingress where they are coming from. So if the cabinet is outside Zone 2 then you can fit anything as far as I am aware.

Caveats - I am not a qualified electrician but have rewired houses within the current regs and got them signed off.

More info here http://www.diydata.com/electrics/bathroom_electrics/bathroom_electrics.php

Dave

I built a cabinet with a couple of these http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17698/Lig ... ght-Chrome fitted 2 years ago and they've worked perfectly. low voltage (transformer hidden in false base) and no heat problems either. Operated by a pull switch.

Roger

How did you get away without providing a minor works certificate?
I'm in that situation with my extension as I'm experienced and perfectly competant and have fully wired the extension but I'm not certified and I know I'll have to have it re-tested and certified by an electrician to satisfy the BI

Bob

Dave S":3p8rkvz6 said:
all the lights I can find are either 'not suitable for use in a bathroom'

If you Google 'downlights bathroom', there seem to be lots available for use in a bathroom. We have some in our bathroom and the ones over the shower and bath have screw-on glass covers over them.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I've done similar, but my transformers are in the roof space (accessible!).

LEDs are not completely cool, but they are much cooler than halogens. You can get very good 'equivalent' eyeballs, etc. now. I got mine from Toolstation I think:

They drop into conventional holders as a direct replacement (but they need to be 12V fittings to start with, as the 'pins' on the 240V fittings are actually a pair of bayonetting plugs and won't fit the LV lamps).

The next project of this sort is dimmable LED lamps over the mirror above the washbasin. The starting point is transformer-isolated 12VDC and an opto-coupled switch in the 'wet' area. All the business parts are outside the bathroom, and all the wiring is isolated 12V. My friendly sparks says it will pass regs. I just need a round tuit...

RogerS":2n43fbgr said:
Lons...it was signed off by Building Control.

:-k Roger

I'll have to have another look at the regs to see if I can get away with that as it'll save me some cash. :?

Bob

Bob...If you are doing work under a Building Control Notice or Full Plans then they can be asked to sign-off the electrical stuff and at no extra charge. It is up to them if they get an electrician in or just take a looksie !! NB You may not get a certificate but the normal Completion Certificate instead.

Back