Bathroom cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gav

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd been wanting to build a cabinet for our new shower room for a while and having seen some of the mdf based cabinets here decided that this might be the way to go.

I had struggled with a design but after a very enjoyable day at Jon's bash recently with a sketchup demo by Steve Maskery I was motivated to give sketchup another bash.

After a few reworks I came up with this design, painted with a solid wood top. Although it had to be built in to cover some pipes etc I wanted it to look more like a freestanding unit.

bathroomcabinet.jpg

I therefore took the plunge and ordered some MR MDF.

Having got into the build and enjoyed it so much I forgot any WIP pics but these are the end results. My camera lens doesn't allow me to get it all in one pic in the size of room.

base.jpg

top.jpg

Gav

Looks excellent! Neat job on the shelf holes do you use a jig? Sorry but im a newbie!

Yes, Id be quite interested in the paint technique used on this as my missus is hassling me to do something similar and itl'l be my first effort.

Also where did you get and how much did the material cost?

Around here (Aldershot area) we only have B & SQ but there is a
Champion timber in Guildford.

Ive got to say that I went through some intitial hassle with Ketchup, but after sitting down for a few nights Ieventually drew my nested table and you know what? its a real sense of achievment looking at the drawings then seeing your finished article!

Still learning it though! :)

Thanks

Yes I used a simple jig for the router for the shelf holes. A series of holes in a piece of mdf that fit a template guide on the router, copied off a telly programme if I remember.

The finish is one coat of mdf primer, some edges needed two coats after denibbing. The MR version is so much better on the edges. Followed by a dulux undercoat and liguid gloss applied with a roller and flatted with a brush. Its not as good as a sprayed finish but I don't have any capability for spraying.

I did assemble some of the carcass before finishing which made it more difficult. What I wasn't sure was if you prefinish before assembly do you mask the joints before or just rely on the biscuit or domino custs through the finish to have enough glue area?

As regards suppliers I just used our loacl builders merchant and they were able to supply medite MR MDF at £20 for the 18mm and 15 for the £12.

Gav

Latest posts

Back