Bare minimum in tools to get started?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Freehand grinding is definitely worth learning. Unless your grinder has a decent platform to rest your tool or hand on, life will be a lot easier if you make yourself one from some scraps of wood and a couple of bolts. It takes some time to learn - (I`m still learning!) - and your bevels won`t be as pretty as when using a jig, but as your turning skills develop, so will your sharpening. I started off using a jig, but there is a fair amount of learning involved with that too. It`s not necessarily an instant solution to all your sharpening problems.

Ian

I often buy used HSS gouges from a local second-hand tool shop (when they have any). The worse the grind when you but them the cheaper they are, the same goes for the handles. They usually need reshaping anyway to suit my turning style, and new handles are no problem with a lathe. The only 'downside' is that you need to learn to sharpen them, but you need to learn that anyway. Good luck with collecting what you need.

Back